1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Trying to get my stuff out there.

Ok I didnt know how to title this, or if this is allowed in this section. But pretty much I really want to be able to make something (programming wise) and get it out to the masses. I want something like a website, or an app, something like that. The only problem is I believe as of now my skillset doesnt allow me to make anything like that. Or atleast anything good like that.
    So I made this thread in case anyone knows anything I could possibly be interested in that I just didnt know about.

Skillset: Java, Python, Visual Basic, HTML, Javascript.

I wanted to make apple apps, but I dont know C.
    I wanted to make android apps, but the Java setup they use is weird with the XML and other ideas that make it not like Java.
    The amount of HTML/ Javascript is essentially useless in web design without database knowledge.

So the closest I have come to making something I can get out there is a Java Applet which just wasnt really good enough. And XNA but I couldnt quite grasp it.

Is there anything like what Im looking for with the programming skills I have. Or what would be the easiest to learn to try to get there.
  3. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Make something you want and need yourself and chances are fairly good other people will want/need it too. That's the way a lot of freeware and shareware gets created.

If you come up with a project that interests you, you'll have the passion necessary to learn whatever skills you're lacking to complete the project.

In fact, this is usually the way I go about learning new platforms myself if I'm doing it for my own enrichment (vs having to learn things specifically for my paid work where I don't have much choice as to what to work on and what to learn).
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I completely agree with the part about wanting to do it will lead you to learn it. The problem is I tried to do most languages that I wanted to try and didnt get very far in them. However, I gave XNA another try and Im working on a decent 2D game for PC, and its coming along nicely.
  7. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

This board is dominated by the web languages, specifically PHP. If you already know HTML/JS, pick up a good PHP/MySQL book (I recommend this one) and work through it.

-Dan
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo