1. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Just Wow (Ocean Marketing vs The Internet)

I woke up this morning and was surprised to see penny-arcade at the top of reddit. That almost never happens, especially for a news post.

Anyway, PA's gotten so much traffic out of it that their site is going up and down, so here's the summary:

SomeGuy bought a controller from Ocean Marketing in October, and it was supposed to arrive for Christmas. He noticed 2 things on their website recently: (1) It definitely wouldn't arrive by Christmas and (2) the price had gone down. He emailed Ocean Marketing to inquire about this, and the response he got was short, rude, and douchey.

They eventually got into a fight about it, with Ocean Marketing throwing insults and calling names, and then Ocean started name dropping people and mentioned that they'd be at PAX.

The customer, apparently using up all the good ideas he's allotted for the rest of his life, CCed Penny-Arcade on his next reply.

Gabe from PA steps in to say the salesguy is being a douche and that if he did have a PAX booth, it would be canceled.

Instead of immediately crapping himself and apologizing, the guy continues to be a royal douche, and goes on to drop more names, call PA an amateur operation, claim to know the mayor of Boston, and threatens a PR smear campaign against PA.

And now here we are, the guy's life is most likely ruined, and his company will probably go under. He claims he employs 150 people but redditors dug out his financials and there's no more than 10 employees.

Read the whole email exchange here

I have it mirrored of PA doesn't come back up easily, though they should soon.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Do what?!?!?!!? Wow, a splendid example of how to handle customers in a reasonable, professional manner!
    The moon on the one hand, the dawn on the other:
    The moon is my sister, the dawn is my brother.
    The moon on my left and the dawn on my right.
    My brother, good morning: my sister, good night.
    -- Hilaire Belloc
  5. Sarcky

Apparently this guy has been doing this kind of thing for years. People have come out of the woodwork to share their old email chains with him. Everyone he name-drops has disavowed any implied support of him, and his twitter account and facebook have already gone down.

This is like HBGary but more fun.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

HBGary? I must practice my Goggle-Fu!
    -- Hilaire Belloc
  9. Sarcky

Oh man, if you don't know the name HBGary you missed out:
    Anonymous takes down HBGary

-Dan

11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yeah, my Google-Fu was mighty - I found and read it and had a wry chuckle over it all.
    -- Hilaire Belloc

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo