1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question co-branding a website

My company has a pretty extensive web site which utilizes PHP. We have several data entry pages where client A inputs info. We have several data retrieval pages where client B searches for and extracts this info. There are numerous amounts of extensive PHP code which provide functions such as: automated e-mail notifications, classification of data, time stamps, search engines, etc.

Here's the issue. So far we have been a subscriber-based site and charge clients A and B for access to the system. We have been approached by numerous clients who want to license our system and have our site "co-branded" on their site. I know of numerous websites that do this, but can it be done with our existing PHP? Is XML best for this? Does Oracle or someone have a "canned" application which would allow us to do this? Our site is very robust and working great. We simply want to take our content and functionality from (oursite.com) and co-brand it on (clientsite.com).

Any ideas on what language/format is best to do co-branding? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Señor Member
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

I would recommend utilizing the power of PHP templates with XML data. By keeping the data seperated in XML, you can always easily switch to JSP, or *gasp* ASP, or whatever other technology is developed down the road.

Comments on this post

• Hideaki Oliver agrees
    Michael
  5. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Originally Posted by pieux
    I would recommend utilizing the power of PHP templates with XML data. By keeping the data seperated in XML, you can always easily switch to JSP, or *gasp* ASP, or whatever other technology is developed down the road.
    I agree, applying existing php code to a different site can be strenuous. On the other hand, you can write hand n hand with xml and make it work more seamlessly.
  7. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by Hideaki Oliver
    I agree, applying existing php code to a different site can be strenuous. On the other hand, you can write hand n hand with xml and make it work more seamlessly.
    Welcome to Dev Shed.

You do realize that this post is almost 6 years old, right?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Originally Posted by hiker
    Welcome to Dev Shed.

You do realize that this post is almost 6 years old, right?
    No i didnt, this is awesome lol
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

I wonder if they solved the problem?
  13. Contributing User
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Seeing as they haven't posted back, most likely.

I recommend locking unless someone has a similar question right now.
    Chat Server Project & Tutorial | WiFi-remote-control sailboat (building) | Joke Thread
    “Rational thinkers deplore the excesses of democracy; it abuses the individual and elevates the mob. The death of Socrates was its finest fruit.”
    Use XXX in a comment to flag something that is bogus but works. Use FIXME to flag something that is bogus and broken. Use TODO to leave yourself reminders. Calling a program finished before all these points are checked off is lazy.
    -Partial Credit: Sun

If I ask you to redescribe your problem, it's because when you describe issues in detail, you often get a *click* and you suddenly know the solutions.
    Ches Koblents

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo