Page 1 of 17 12311 ... Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Moderator Emeritus
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Let's rid the world of Internet Explorer

Alright. It's time for one of my "to arms! let the revolution begin!" posts.

I use Mozilla Firefox at home and at work. I've convinced several people - from coworkers to friends, as well as a few family members - to switch from MSIE to Firefox.

Mozilla and Firefox (as well as Opera, Safari, Konqueror - yes, Netscape v7 + as well, et al) are all far better browsers than Internet Explorer. Far better. Worlds better. Analyze your non-IE browser of choice against Microsoft's offering, and it will win hands down, on issues of features, security, speed, usability, available plug-ins - you name it, the aforementioned browsers wipe the virtual floor w/ IE's sorry arse.

Still, though, we're losing the numbers game. Even given the recent rash of security issues with MSIE, as well as last month's 1% drop in MSIE usage, we're hardly making a dent.

MSIE is a terrible browser. People using MSIE are exposing their systems to viruses, worms, trojans, popup ads, as well as propegating Microsoft's non-standard proprietary features, such as the JScript abomination. MSIE has become the Netscape 4 albatross - we're all now coding for two browsers - Microsoft's, and everybody elses'.

That needs to change. Now.

Here's how we do it:

1. Help your friends and family switch This one is easier than it sounds. I happened to mention Firefox to a buddy of mine in Chicago over email, with a quick snapshot of it's killer-app features - namely popup blocking, the ability to block unwanted ads/flash, skins, etc - and gave him a direct link where he could download. So, he did. Now he's hooked, and has FF installed both @ work and home. You won't get everyone you know to switch over - for instance, my net-crazed 82 year old grandmother is still using MSIE - but you'll get a few. The trick here is to make sure any person you convince to switch to talk to the people they know about the other browsers out there (FF, Moz, etc), with the hopes that the one person you've switched convinces the people they know to switch.
    2. Help your coworkers switch Same as family/friends. Here, though, you have an advantage - you're in the same building with these people for 40+ hours a week. An approach I've used is to offer to install the browser on people's PC's for them while they're in meetings or at lunch. Get the browser on their system for them - make the whole thing painless. Install the plugins you know will help them out, and make the browsing experience better for them. Once it's installed, give them a quick run-down of the features, like Tabs. I've had great success in moving coworkers to FF - all have thanked me for getting them off of IE. Seriously.
    3. Demand Firefox from PC Vendors Ordering a new desktop, workstation or laptop anytime soon? Make sure you ask the PC Vendor to have Firefox pre-installed on your machine. Tell them that you never use IE, because of its horrid security issues and relative lack of features. Press the point. Sales people have a way of spreading information among one another. If a sales person hears this same message from several customers, they're more likely to tell other sales people about it ("Hey, guess what closed that last deal? The guy wanted Firefox installed on his PC before it shipped - you should try that with your next customer!") and they're more likely to bring it up at the next Sales meeting or Customer Satisfaction meeting ("I've been hearing from a lot of customers that they want Firefox on their PCs... maybe we should just have it pre-installed on all of our PCs?"). This idea is a bit more revolutionary than the grassroots efforts of friends/family/coworkers, but if enough of us make this request to the Dells, IBMs, HP/Compaqs, etc of the world, someone is bound to listen. At the very least, you might pique the interest of the sales person on the other end of the line.
    4. Tell your boss that IE needs to go Almost all of the companies I've worked for standardize internal internet application development on IE. Why? The browser is already on the OS. This results in a development staff who only knows one browsing environment. I always press the point that, if ever the company should decide to migrate its desktop OS to Linux (which is a real possibility, and one that is in the minds of many IT managers and CIOs) that there will need to be an enormous investment in migrating their web apps to non-MSIE browsers - therefore, it makes much more sense to take FF and other browsers into consideration now, and get the developers used to building apps for FF/et al now, rather than eat it later. I've been less successful with this approach, but have made some headway.

Comments on this post

• codergeek42 agrees : W00t!
    • SqllHrt disagrees
    • Winters agrees : Just become a browser-ninja like me. All you need is a memory stick, a copy of your Firefox directory, some reg keys and a nifty auto-run on the stick to murder IE and copy over and install Firefox ;)
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
    The Most Important Article You Can Read as a Developer
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Unfortunately, I'm finding the most recent release of Firefox (0.9.2) to be the most unstable yet on the three systems I use. I'd hate to see alot of people switch to this browser only to discover so many bugs, then discount it forever and switch back to Explorer...

I think you have a good cause, but I'd hold off pushing FF until it reaches 1.0. No large corporation/oranization will implement the use of a program that isn't stable yet anyways.

Opera is nice, but the cost leaves that out. Safari/Konqueror has the OS issues. Mozilla is great, but is rather slow/ugly.

I say hold off a month or two for FF 1.0.
  5. Can I get an Amen!
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Did you hear that Men? Groove Dog says to Arms!
    I've actually been in the process for a couple of months now, ever
    ^
    |
    |___ since a friend convinced me that it was the thing to do. SInce then the whole family has been converted over, most notably my dad, who you couldn't get to move from one chair to another if it was on fire!
    Also any computers/laptops that have passed though my little castle have also been set up with the same. It can be done people, and most likely they won't even notice the difference.

Didn't someone once say "If I'm doing things right you won't even know?"

Comments on this post

• Gran Roguismo agrees
    • drgroove agrees : LMAO that "gran roguismo" agreed w/ JimmyGosling... damn doppelgangers! :D
  7. No Profile Picture
    Moderator/Software QA Engineer

I've already convinced my friends Joe and Skyler to switch to Firefox/Thunderbird/OpenOffice.org/GIMP/Miranda IM/etc. (They really like the copies I gave them of TheOpenCD =P). I've even got my OS X-using friend to start using Camino. That was pretty cool. I installed Firefox at work, and even got some of my coworkers to start using it (well, alot of them use the suite instead of the seperate Firefox/Thunderbird apps, but I'm still cool with that.) Hec, even the head IS/IT guy of where I work uses the suite at home and The Moz suite at work. Don't worry, Doc, I think I got the hang of this "show ppl that IE sucks and explain the benefits of F/OSS to them" =P
    ~~ Peter ~~ :: ( Who am I? ) :: ( Peter's Musings: Uploading myself, bit by bit... ) :: ( Electronic Frontier Foundation ) :: ( I'm a GNU/Linux addict and Free Software Advocate. ) :: ( How to Ask Questions the Smart Way ) :: ( The Fedora Project, sponsored by Red Hat ) :: ( GNOME: The Free Software Desktop Project ) :: ( GnuPG Public Key ) :: ( About me on the WIki )
  9. No Profile Picture

I say we make this a "campaign" of sorts by adding a link to this thread in our sigs.
    ~~ Peter ~~ :: ( Who am I? ) :: ( Peter's Musings: Uploading myself, bit by bit... ) :: ( Electronic Frontier Foundation ) :: ( I'm a GNU/Linux addict and Free Software Advocate. ) :: ( How to Ask Questions the Smart Way ) :: ( The Fedora Project, sponsored by Red Hat ) :: ( GNOME: The Free Software Desktop Project ) :: ( GnuPG Public Key ) :: ( About me on the WIki )
  11. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

im on my own campaign of switching people over to use linux.
    John5788
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by John5788
    im on my own campaign of switching people over to use linux.
    lol. I've even posted a link to here from my sig in the Gentoo Forums...not sure why, but hey I can....
  15. I'm New Here.

heh! I just converted my dad by telling him I installed the latest version of the internet thingymajiggy (he wouldn't know what 'Internet Exploder' meant). He could pick up most things easily, I moved the toolbars so it looked like IEs layout more and he picked it all up... showed him the tabbed stuff and he was away!
  17. No Profile Picture

Great job, computer!
  19. I'm New Here.

also converted 3 of my friends, and my GF... how bout that?
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

My whole family is finally using Firefox. My mother and I use Thunderbird. The only holdout on Tbird is my dad. Dad's are the hardest to persuade I think, he only just recently started using Firefox.
  23. Crypto-Con

I'm in on this, ever since I switched from IE I've hated it's @#$% bits....

I don't have many people I could sway, but I'll start with our church, I can't believe a church uses that demon-possessed peice of junk.....
    - "Cryptographically secure linear feedback shift register based stream ciphers" -- a phrase that'll get any party started.
    - Why know the ordinary when you can understand the extraordinary?
    - Sponsor my caffeine addiction! (36.70 USD received so far -- Latest donor: Mark Foxvog.
    )
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

27. Permanently Banned

HA HA. Internet Explorer makes me laugh...

I'm in.

Comments on this post

• codergeek42 agrees
  29. Contributing User

Thumbs up

Alrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrighty then

*picks up his laser blaster and wipes MSIE of his computer*

I switched over to FF about a month ago and wow except for one non compatibility issue I have had no problems with FF and find that it is faster. And since most of the ppl in my home (family) and such use my computer to get on the internet I will sublimily ease them into it and they will never know

and as for Linux I have that installed but don't know how to get it to recognize my modem ...maybe john556539848398475 could help me out.

P.S. forget the Linux forum... I think they fell asleep. I seen at least 2 other questions that were similar in nature to mine and no one seemed a bit interested in answering ...as well most of the questions go without being answered... I gave up... will search google somewhere for help on Linux
    Open source to the open minded...
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo