1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

setting up access to intranet - Help!

Hi
    I have developed a company intranet, set up IIS and users within the same building can now log on to the intranet, however, I have now been asked how users from other offices will be able to log on, I assume if they can dial in to the network they will be able to access the network no problem, however the next question I am then asked is what about users on customers premises, how will they access the intranet?

Can anyone advise me as to how to set all this up, I assume that maybe the best way is to get the intranet hosted elsewhere so that others at client sites can log into it, as I cannot see how they would be able to log into the network as this would be a major security issue. Any ideas and guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Yvonne
  3. No Profile Picture
    To understand recursion, you have to understand recursion first!
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi

I suppose your company is using a Firewall.
    So for other subsidaries of your company it should be possible to access the intranet by using a Virtual Private Network (VPN) - connection. Additionally appropriate Firewall settings have to be done for accessing your intranet this way. I propose "dating" your responsible Admin for setting up the required things.
    Customers should'nt have any access to an intranet ... if they do anyway your admin should reconsider his policies.

For customer access you should set up a DMZ - a demilitarized zone, which is accessible from internet as well, because it is not BEHIND the firewall but IN FRON of it ....all clear ??
    ---BP-------------------------------------------
    "Life is what happens, while you're makin' other plans..."

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo