1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Help with install of Red Hat 7.1

Hi guys

I want to try the Linux thing, so I want to install Red Hat 7.1 on my only hard drive that already has Windows 98 installed. I have already used Partition Magic to make a Linux partition.

After starting to read the installation guide, and finding out that Red Hat will make it's own partition. I'm would like to know if I should go ahead and install it anyway to the partition I made for it, or delete the partition I made, and let Linux do it's thing?

Thanks for any and all experiences you can share with me.
  3. Oheim
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hy-
    well, installed Mandrake 8 recently, which is based on Red Hat (I think).
    Linux in fact makes 3 different Partitions. I found the tutorial under www.linux.org (Linux 101) very helpful.

Usually Linux should give you the option during install to decide wether you want it to use a certain partition and so on...it also should detect your windows and install a bootloader for you.

Since I am new as well on this whole thing, I really can't tell you much more on this subject.

Another helpful URL is www.linuxnewbie.org they have Newbie Help Files without all that hardcore tech talk as well.

hope I helped...let me know how it goes!
    Welcome to Linux! :o)
    Sheriff
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

God is just hacker who rooted the world!
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Hey Sheriff!!

Thanks a lot.

Those links are just what I needed. I'll let you know what happened.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo