1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Talking Help!! - Java, JSP - Where do I start?

Hi,

I currently consider myself to be pretty experienced using ASP, SQL Server, Visual Basic (Mostly anything Microsoft). With the emergence of C#, I have considered learning that also.

What I need to know is, is it worth me learning Java and JSP? Are both of these commonly used within the IT industry? Should I stick with .net? Or should I learn Java, JSP and .net?

Can you recommend any decent articles on how to set up a windows 2000 professional machine to handle Java and JSP?

Do I need to install Apache and Tomcat? (Two products I have heard of, but never used)

Will these work on a Windows 2000 machine?

Any decent advice would be much appreciated. I have an open mind when it comes to languages, hence the desire to pick up Java and JSP (along with the extra $$$, I hope!)

Many thanks

Chris
  3. No Profile Picture

Well afer doing asp, JSP is similar I've found.
    I got:
    Javaserver Pages fast and easy ISBN 0-7615-3428-8
    Good and easy book for basics.
    If you know asp and have no need to do jsp, then from what i've seen of making webpages, forums (www.zogg.com, done in asp) and e-commerce sites, then asp is fine. If bored, you shouldn't find it too hard (although I get stuck on the most simple things)
  5. No Profile Picture
    PHP Coder

Pick up Thinking In Java Second Edition from htp://www.mindview.net to start with, it is one f'ing good book. It covers all of the language constructs (EVERYTHING you can do with classes) and eventually moves to Swing, Sockets, Servlets, JSPs, and other stuff.

ASP sucks as do all M$ server products, as well as the majority of their end-user products...
    Last edited by sLiPkNoT rUlEz; September 27th, 2001 at 04:14 PM.
    Click here and wait. It's a kewl effect, trust me.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo