Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Crypto-Con
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

My eye is mutating

....not! but I bet you all were hoping this thread contained png's of it

Anyway, what does it mean when your eye is twitching uncontrollably? Since Wednesday (or maybe Thursday, I forget) my right eye has just been twitching non-stop, litterally, it's painfully distractive....

I figured, hey, school's ending for the year, I'm under higher than normal levels of stress and I'm a bit short on sleep, but the past three nights I've gotten about 10% more than usual sleep, and It's STILL twitching up a storm, it's getting to the point I can't even troll the Lounge because I can't foucs on my monitor.... OK, not that bad, but it's annoying

I've put some tape on the skin just barely below my eye, and that stops most of the twitching, and even when I can feel it twitch the tape keeps it from actually moving much, but when I take it off it starts up again....

Does anyone else get this, and for this long? Any tips to getting rid of it? This isn't the first time it's happened to me, but it's definately the longest time I've ever had it for, and I always end up just sufficing for a bit of tape under my eye, which is a tad awkward to both blink and just look at.....
    - "Cryptographically secure linear feedback shift register based stream ciphers" -- a phrase that'll get any party started.
    - Why know the ordinary when you can understand the extraordinary?
    - Sponsor my caffeine addiction! (36.70 USD received so far -- Latest donor: Mark Foxvog.
    )
  3. long time no see :)
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I get that every so often, but only for a couple seconds.

I quite like it actually.
    AKA Marty Jones (todayeffect - writerlance.com)
  5. Dom Weldon
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

I'd see a doctor, it sounds serious if has not gone away.

Comments on this post

• codergeek42 agrees
    Tired and hungry.
  7. Type Cast Exception

Since I was about 25 I've gotten this once a year or so. It goes away in a few hours usually. At most a day. If longer than a day see a doc to make you feel better, but chances are it's just a nervous twich. It happens. If it hasn't already, the same thing will happen with other various muscles. A finger, a muscle in your forearm, etc. Reducing your stress level is the best medicine I've found: e.g. less (or no) caffeine, more sleep, more relaxation and less worrying about stuff. Often easier said than done. The nervous system is delicate though. See also: search devshed "ulna nerve"

It sounds like you may have had it longer because of a lot of stress. Perhaps a doc visit is in order. But stressing over it and not seeing a doc will not help

Comments on this post

• B-Con agrees
    medialint.com

Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss
  9. This is only a test
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Less trolling might help...

Seriously, though, if this has been going on since last week, do what Domwiz said, and go see a doctor. Even if it stops tomorrow. It's probably just stress/eyestrain/caffeine (especially if that's the only physical weirdness you're noticing), but a persistant eyetwitch can be a symptom of more serious things.
    "Not to offend our Swedish listeners ... if we have any, that is"
    "But your team's rubbish."
    (Sun webcast, Sweden vs. Paraguay)

Who needs corporate radio?
    WeFunkRadio.com | Global Pop Conspiracy | Radio Paradise | SomaFM | The Classic Soul Network | Boot Liquor | WFMU Freeform Radio
  11. Banned (not really)

Originally Posted by Domwiz
    I'd see a doctor, it sounds serious if has not gone away.
    That's absurd. Do you think that's really necessary? I think a much better course of action would be to post about it on a development forum and see if any doctors are reading. That way it's free! Maybe he'll get some code out of it too!!!

---John Holmes...

Comments on this post

• medialint agrees : I was good friends with a pre-med student in college so I'm qualified, right?
    -- Cigars, whiskey and wild, wild women. --
  13. No Profile Picture
    Moderator/Software QA Engineer

Originally Posted by medialint
    e.g. less (or no) caffeine
    BLASPHEMY!

Edit: I really need to spell correctly.

Comments on this post

• medialint agrees : Yes, such are the sacrifices one must make. I once gave up everything but vegetables for like two years. I don't know how. I've got beer and a steak in the fridge presently ... :)
    • B-Con agrees : caffeine is an essential, like blood and such...
    Last edited by codergeek42; May 1st, 2005 at 07:58 PM.
    ~~ Peter ~~ :: ( Who am I? ) :: ( Peter's Musings: Uploading myself, bit by bit... ) :: ( Electronic Frontier Foundation ) :: ( I'm a GNU/Linux addict and Free Software Advocate. ) :: ( How to Ask Questions the Smart Way ) :: ( The Fedora Project, sponsored by Red Hat ) :: ( GNOME: The Free Software Desktop Project ) :: ( GnuPG Public Key ) :: ( About me on the WIki )
  15. No Profile Picture
    the ^ user
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Often easier said than done.
    Ha-ha-ha...

I had it for almost a week last semester right before finals; it did not bother too much. At that time you don't think about doctors It went away eventually.

P.S. Twitching eye is not a big deal in comparison to "swimming head" though. It's like you feel sleepy but you can't sleep and feel like you are losing your balance standing, sitting or walking. Shish, I am looking forward to this finals cr@p being over...in 5 days!

Comments on this post

• medialint agrees : I generally think it's just a nervous thing that will go away also, but it doesn't hurt to make sure.
  17. Crypto-Con

Originally Posted by codergeek42
    BLASPHEMY!
    has he no shame?

Originally Posted by Sepodati
    That's absurd. Do you think that's really necessary? I think a much better course of action would be to post about it on a development forum and see if any doctors are reading. That way it's free! Maybe he'll get some code out of it too!!!
    sorry, I don't konw what it's like over where ever the heck you are, but here we can't just walk into a doctors office and get evaluated, you have to make an appointment at least a week in advance, unless you want to spend 4 or 5 hours sitting in the waiting room hoping to get sqeezed into someone else's time slot, or hoping someone cancles or doesn't show up, the only way to get immediate attention is in the emergency ward, and (especially on weekends when the doctor's are all closed) they're usually chalk full of people with colds, flu's, headache's, etc, and it'll be a solid 3 or 4 hours before you get seen by someone with the medical experience of an eggplant, after which eventually the actual doctor comes around and, because he's on his 11th hour of a 14 hour stint, tells you "you should probably get some more sleep, come back in a week if you still have it" and bolts like heck for the door before you can catch him....
    Last edited by codergeek42; May 1st, 2005 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Fixed quoted spelling error.
    - "Cryptographically secure linear feedback shift register based stream ciphers" -- a phrase that'll get any party started.
    - Sponsor my caffeine addiction! (36.70 USD received so far -- Latest donor: Mark Foxvog.
    )
  19. Type Cast Exception

Originally Posted by B-Con
    has he no shame?

sorry, I don't konw what it's like over where ever the heck you are, but here we can't just walk into a doctors office and get evaluated, you have to make an appointment at least a week in advance, unless you want to spend 4 or 5 hours sitting in the waiting room hoping to get sqeezed into someone else's time slot, or hoping someone cancles or doesn't show up, the only way to get immediate attention is in the emergency ward, and (especially on weekends when the doctor's are all closed) they're usually chalk full of people with colds, flu's, headache's, etc, and it'll be a solid 3 or 4 hours before you get seen by someone with the medical experience of an eggplant, after which eventually the actual doctor comes around and, because he's on his 11th hour of a 14 hour stint, tells you "you should probably get some more sleep, come back in a week if you still have it" and bolts like heck for the door before you can catch him....

I have Kaiser Permanante which most people hate, but to be honest, I've never really had to wait more than a few minutes in the lobby and maybe 15-20 for the doctor once in the "station". You call in advance and they figure out over the phone how urgent it is. When my arm wasn't working they did the whole "so you're at work so people are around ... good!" thing (it could be a symptom of a stroke, good call) and pretty much were ready to take me within the hour. I told them two hours because I had to catch a bus. In and seen almost immediately. I've always been able to make a convenient appointment. Not bad for an HMO for my needs.
    Last edited by medialint; May 1st, 2005 at 07:58 PM.
    medialint.com

Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss
  21. Crypto-Con

I have Kaiser Permanante which most people hate, but to be honest, I've never really had to wait more than a few minutes in the lobby and maybe 15-20 for the doctor once in the "station". You call in advance and they figure out over the phone how urgent it is. When my arm wasn't working they did the whole "so you're at work so people are around ... good!" thing (it could be a symptom of a stroke, good call) and pretty much were ready to take me within the hour. I told them two hours because I had to catch a bus. In and seen almost immediately. I've always been able to make a convenient appointment. Not bad for an HMO for my needs.
    Interesting, well, I can definately tell you that that is not the plan we're on....

actually, I have virtually no clue what medical plans and stuff we have, since I need medical attention, like, 0 times a year....
    )
  23. No Profile Picture
    the ^ user
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Seriously: lay off caffeine.
    As far as sleep: it might work after about 1 week of at least 8 to 9 hrs, which is for some of us is unrealistic.

I might have a wrong ideology, but I choose not to pay too much attention to things like this and they eventually go away GIVEN i try to lead a healthy/active lifestyle on a somewhat consistent basis
  25. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by EverLearning
    Seriously: lay off caffeine.
    I repeat: BLASPHEMY!
    ~~ Peter ~~ :: ( Who am I? ) :: ( Peter's Musings: Uploading myself, bit by bit... ) :: ( Electronic Frontier Foundation ) :: ( I'm a GNU/Linux addict and Free Software Advocate. ) :: ( How to Ask Questions the Smart Way ) :: ( The Fedora Project, sponsored by Red Hat ) :: ( GNOME: The Free Software Desktop Project ) :: ( GnuPG Public Key ) :: ( About me on the WIki )
  27. No Profile Picture

Seriously, don't drink less. Drink more. A lot more. Drink a whole bunch of coffee and Mountain Dew and tea. You'll become addicted to it and its effects will subside, allowing you to drink more and not feel the harmful symptoms as much.

Then again if you do this be prepared for really bad headaches if you go of Caffein "cold turkey".
  29. (retired)

Originally Posted by Bcon
    Last edited by codergeek42 : Today at 11:59 AM. Reason: Fixed quoted spelling error.
    I say we nominate Peter as Devsheds official spell checker!

On topic: How the h*ll does your health system work in the US? If I get sick, I go to my GP (General Practitioner), where I'll wait ~30 minutes to see someone. It'll cost me ~50 NZD (~20 US). If I'm really sick, I can turn up at a hospital, and get looked after. Accidents are covered by the governments Accident Compensation Comission, and are generally paid for any NZ resident, citizen or temporary visitor (and as such are non-sue-able).

--Simon
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo