1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

newbie wants to avoid frontpage

i am looking for a alternative to front page to make a doctor's office website. frontpage templates are ugly and make a lot of blech code. i only know html...i have rudimentary knowledge of css. any ready made solutions that will also help me learn will be greatly appreciated. i want something that will help me make a slick informational website in a weekend. a form would be nice to collect user contact information and input that into a database for mailing labels. i have no idea about that part. thanks..
  3. Web Developer
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Well, there are other HTML editors, like Dreamweaver. I use a text editor named 1st Page. Although I've never used most of it's abilities, you could, possibly, benefit from the ready Javascripts, and Perl/CGI scripts that it contains. There are even easy-to-use wizards that allow you to customize the scripts to your site. Very easy to use.
    -- Tomi Kaistila
    -- Developer's Journal

The more you learn, the more you know.
    The more you know, the more you forget.
    The more you forget, the less you know.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'd say Dreamweaver, as per above, would be your best bet although it is very expensive, about 3 times more than Front Page I think, but worth it!

Then for your Server Side language, Notepad, Homesite, ConText

Search, theres loads mentioned
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

how do u define a newbie?
  9. Web Developer

I don't, personally, like the word newbie. I'm guessing that it's synonym for beginner or a just a word for something similar.
    -- Tomi Kaistila
    -- Developer's Journal

11. No Profile Picture
    apprentice geek

Homesite!

I'm a big fan of Homesite. Although it has a WYSIWYG mode, you don't want to use it. Instead, use the wizards in edit mode for the actions/coding you don't already know. You will then see exactly what code is produced, and, by switching to browse, what results from that code. It includes wizards for tables, frames, lists, forms, Javascript, applets, and ActiveX scripting, CFML (a ColdFusion language), and ASP. It's a great way to produce and learn at the same time. (IMHO, of course)

Check it out at http://www.macromedia.com/software/homesite/

Karen
    Life is a Rorschach Test.
  13. Contributing User

I'll second the pro for Homesite. That program absolutely rocks if you know your HTML.
    Jon Sagara

"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"
  15. Web Developer

Well, IMO, there really is no point of building HTML pages if you don't know, at least some, HTML. A non-skilled HTML writer is only dooming the page by using Dreamweaver to do something he has no comprihension himself. At some point, there will be a problem, which the editor can't fix nor explain. What will he then do? He will buy a book on the subject
    -- Tomi Kaistila
    -- Developer's Journal

17. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Now let me see. I've used Dreamweaver and Homesite and Frontpage and HotMetal and various others, and what do I use.... notepad. Yeah I know it's not 'normal' but at least it means I have control of the code. The output from Dreamweaver, as I've seen it on other peoples sites, is terrible. You could known 4k off a 10k page just by taking out the extra tags it puts in. Frontpage, was just nasty, the output wouldn't load into another editor, eh? HotMetal, well that was a joke, the thing wouldn't let me edit things in WYSIWYG mode. Homesite though, ahhhh lovely homesite. It's easy to add extra tags for doing ASP/PHP etc.. and it has a function to check code validity. The button is easy to get to and the output sensible. I'll still use notepad though!
  19. No Profile Picture
    Not there when you need me
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

If you know at least some basic HTML, 1stPage is really good - it helps with programming wihtout putting any code in that you didn't ask for. And it comes bundled with TidyHTML, which analyzes your code and, if you wish, makes it e. g. XHTML compatible. Not to mention the nice scripts library and the good docs.
  21. 11
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

I do 99% of my development on and for linux. I use the GIMP, quanta, bluefish, and emacs for most everything.

I periodically boot windows to use Fireworks for creating sliced roll-overed images and nav bars. I then put the javascript into a separate library and do the <script language="JavaScript" src="/js-lib/mlri.js"></script> to include it and maximize browser caching. No point in reloading javascript for every single page.

Unfortunately, I can't get Fireworks working in WINE. When/if I do, I'll have no reason to boot windows. For a windows editor, I like Dreamweaver, though if you don't know HTML you're gonna make crap no matter what. Dreamweaver is nice enough to leave your handcoding alone, which I like.

Bluefish is an incredibly well-done and slim editor, and I love emacs simply because it has excellent syntax highlighting and is incredibly responsive, in terms of speed. I type fast, and need an editor to keep up with me.

my $2X10-2
  23. No Profile Picture
    aHVoPw==
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

text editors. edit, save, (upload if necs.), refresh browser, repeat.
    Visit my new IIS Tutorial Series!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo