1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I've created a site... now what? Business setup help.

I'm nearly finished designing my commercial web site, and I'll be ready to publish it within the next month. I have very little business knowledge however and I would like to hear from some other developers who have started their own online businesses. I would like to know exactly what I need to do so that my web site is a 100% law-abiding business. What forms do I need to fill out and what steps should I take so that I can minimize taxes, etc.

My web site will provide services for dealerships and car buyers/sellers. It will store inventory, etc.

I'm a newbie to dot-com business, so please help me out and point me in the right direction. I've spent a LOT of time working hard on my site, and I want to make sure that I take the appropriate steps to get my business legally operational as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Thank you for your help,
    David
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I am going through this right now. Unfortunately it's not a real simple process and since you say you don' t know much about business you might have to do some research.

I would become incorperated. bizfilings.com is a website that we used to become a corporation in the state of deleware. Then you can get an EIN (Employer Id Number) you can get a bank account and depending how you wanna be paid for this service. you can go with Card Services Internation to do Credit Card transactions.

The corporation will afford you a layer of protection from personal liability if a "client" trys to sue you for something.

Also, its good to have a lawyer and an Accountant available to look over documents help with payroll and tax questions.

It probably won't be cheap... $200 - $500 to get all set up, but it's all worth it.. to do it right.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo