Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. sleeping guru
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Best way to travel with a laptop..

hey,

kinda a strange question but i am shortly travelling to singapore and i need to take my laptop with me. Anyone know if it is safe to stick it in my suitcase or should i take it in my hand luggage??

Common sense says hand luggage but i don't need it on the plane and i don't really wanna carry it about if i can help it...

any experiences? or advice??

cheers

rf
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

I wouldn't check my laptop. Even if your suitcase is well padded and can protect the laptop while being thrown around, airlines have been known to misplace checked baggage and someone can also mistakenly pick up your baggage. While the chances of that may be small, they aren't insignificant. I know someone who had his baggage misplaced on a flight this last December. He still doesn't have it.

If you really want to check the laptop, I recommend at least removing and carrying the hard drives with you.

Comments on this post

• jmeeter agrees : helpful
    • medianox agrees : good point
  5. sleeping guru

Originally Posted by Conundrum
    I wouldn't check my laptop. Even if your suitcase is well padded and can protect the laptop while being thrown around, airlines have been known to misplace checked baggage and someone can also mistakenly pick up your baggage. While the chances of that may be small, they aren't insignificant. I know someone who had his baggage misplaced on a flight in late December. He still doesn't have it.

If you really want to check the laptop, I recommend at least removing and carrying the hard drives with you.
    though that might be the advice! Thanks Conundrum
  7. Walrus Gramps

Also, your checked baggage may be subject to inspection. I wouldn't trust the inspectors to repack your laptop as carefully as you will.
    All science is either physics or stamp collecting. - Ernest Rutherford

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way by Eric S. Raymond
  9. sleeping guru

Originally Posted by mvantuyl
    Also, your checked baggage may be subject to inspection. I wouldn't trust the inspectors to repack your laptop as carefully as you will.
    mmm, or at all is what i was worried about !!

Thanks guys, i think i will take it on with me
  11. No Profile Picture
    Moderator/Software QA Engineer
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Good idea.

Have a nice trip!
    ~~ Peter ~~ :: ( Who am I? ) :: ( Peter's Musings: Uploading myself, bit by bit... ) :: ( Electronic Frontier Foundation ) :: ( I'm a GNU/Linux addict and Free Software Advocate. ) :: ( How to Ask Questions the Smart Way ) :: ( The Fedora Project, sponsored by Red Hat ) :: ( GNOME: The Free Software Desktop Project ) :: ( GnuPG Public Key ) :: ( About me on the WIki )
  13. Providing fuel for space ships

Definitely best way to take it is in your hand luggage.
  15. Give us a kiss
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Definately hand carry it. I travelled back from Kuwait shortly after the September 11th attacks and all luggage had to go in the hold and my laptop mysteriously disappeared from the laptop bag. Thankfully it was a company one so I wasn't out of pocket, my boss wasn't best pleased though!

Risk Free Betting at Matched-Betting.com
  17. No Profile Picture
    rebel with a cause
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

fyi: most american airlines allow you one carry on bag plus one personal item which can be a laptop, purse, or briefcase. So you can still take another carryon besides the laptop. But yea, I never let my laptop out of my sight when I travel. I don't even let the bellhop take it.

Comments on this post

• RadioactiveFrog agrees : Thanks, that is useful to know, i will check with the airline !
    Dear God. What is it like in your funny little brains? It must be so boring.
  19. Contributing User

You may also want to look into getting a rider on your homeowner's or renter's insurance policy to cover lost computers and other expensive items during travel. Businesses typically have insurance for computer loss.
  21. Contributing User

laptop premiums aren't cheap

Enjoy Singapore, I brought a Tadpole there once (Alpha VMS box), it weighed a ton, but it was worth IR£17K at the time, so no freaking way was I checking that

--Ax
  23. Type Cast Exception

Re: size and carry-on. If you forego the official laptop carrying case you can probably fit it in another small bag with other carry-on items. Mine has a pretty large screen and still comfortably fits in a medium size backpack along with books, magazines, whatever else you're carrying on ...
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  25. Only the strong survives!!.
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Originally Posted by codergeek42
    Good idea.

Have a nice trip!
    hehe... are you always this informative?

Comments on this post

• codergeek42 agrees : I try, hehe. ^_^
  27. Contributing User

Official laptop bags are often much bulkier and heavier than necessary. I often put 2 laptops in laptop carrying cases but lately I've been using sleeve-type cases which are much smaller. On my last flight, I put 2 laptops and an xbox in my 2500ci backpack along with food and a couple of books to read. A couple of years ago, they didn't separately scan the xbox but they did this last time around.
  29. sleeping guru

Thanks guys, all that is really helpful. If i don't have too much stuff in my backpack i wil just sling it in there but other wise i will have to take my lappy case which would be a bit of a pain cus it is more to carry and more to loose :S

Oh and i booked my flights today very happy now!! Travel out 6th March, which is a bit later than planned but still !!
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo