1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Whats the best way to earn respect/learn the trade

What is the best way to earn a minor and or degree related to computer science. I would like to specialize in game development (PC), and the hardware level. (Code Flight Management Systems for aircraft on board computers, spacecraft…etc)

Are there any self study programs anyone has developed that seems to work well, or online colleges that allow all work to be done online and are somewhat reputable/accredited.

Thanks.
  3. Psycho Canadian
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

Moving this to the Lounge since you'll get more replies there.
  5. Resident Alien

I'm not sure what you mean with the degree part (go to college?) but I would say the best way comes down to a lot of self motivation. If that's what you love, nobody is stopping you. Work on projects related in your spare time. Go as far as you can without the professional equipment and you'll find that more and more people are willing to put the professional equipment in your hands.

Comments on this post

• gimp agrees
    • lingon agrees : Word!
    Roguen's home page: Garage68 home of
  7. No Profile Picture

You could try some of the art institutes that have degrees in writing game programs. Many of them have degrees and/or certs you can earn online.

BJ
  9. No Profile Picture

I mean an overall course outline... Something to follow to learn the basics and get into the more advanced subjects later on.

I would like to eventually be able to build my own OS, but first be able to design and code my own game engines, build massive online games...etc (Granted you need to start small.) But im looking for an outline if you will of what to study to get to that level. A list of free materials, paid materials, how to go about getting it done...etc

Thanks.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo