Thread: Omfg, eBay

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. EXOH
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Omfg, eBay

Hello,

I was just messing around on eBay, looking some cameras. I accidentally went too far on the "Buy Now" page - I was looking for buying methods. Now I got two emails from eBay and the seller saying that I bought it and I have to pay!!

Seriously, do I owe them money??? Is there a way out of this?

Thanks,
    Jordan
  3. Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Get real. If you bought it and changed your mind, check into the applicable right-of-recision laws. If you were dinking with people and effed up, heh. What is your 'word' worth?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

Originally Posted by jmeeter
    Hello,

I was just messing around on eBay, looking some cameras. I accidentally went too far on the "Buy Now" page - I was looking for buying methods. Now I got two emails from eBay and the seller saying that I bought it and I have to pay!!

Seriously, do I owe them money??? Is there a way out of this?

Thanks,
    Jordan
    This is total bull****. There is no way to follow through the eBay "Buy It Now" process without knowing what you are doing. Be a man, take responsibility and pay for the item.

I once had second thoughts about a router right after I hit the button to complete the bid. I didn't want the damn thing, but I bid on it and won it. I paid for it because I'm honest. Now I have one more Cisco 2514 than I need.

You be honest too, you'll feel better about yourself.
  7. EXOH

How is an 18 year old supposed to cough up $1,300 dollars?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Does it matter to us?

You are responsible for your actions. There is no way to 'accidentially' purchase something. If you walk into a restaurant, you wouldnt order food to see what your payment options were, you would ask. There are many ways to find out how to pay for something on ebay. (Reading the auction comes to mind...)

What part of 'Buy it NOW' didn't you read?
  11. EXOH

I was looking for a shopping cart type of thing, as in, cost of item + sales tax, that type of thing. Every site I've ever been on has let you add an item to your shopping cart without finalizing anything.

Comments on this post

• Arty Ziff agrees : Have some points.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Banned

How is an 18 year old supposed to cough up $1,300 dollars?
    You have two choices: Plead to the seller or eBay that it was a mistake and hope for the best, or simply refuse to pay. The only thing that may happen is that eBay suspends your account and you have to get another. The buyer almost certainly will not peruse the matter past having your account suspended, and it wouldn't hold up in small claims anyway.

Here's the way this works: The seller tells eBay you Welshed, and eBay sends you a link to a form that asks your side. It's all done automagically with forms. If you don't get a nasty-gram fro eBay, you're home free. If you do, make your case. You might win, people do this all the time. Forget the buyer, he/she is trying to intimidate you because he/she knows there is little other hope of getting any money out of you.

Don't sweat it, especially if you have a decent eBay track record (no negative comments).

Comments on this post

• aitken325i agrees
    Last edited by Arty Ziff; April 12th, 2007 at 12:24 AM.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I was looking for a shopping cart type of thing, as in, cost of item + sales tax, that type of thing. Every site I've ever been on has let you add an item to your shopping cart without finalizing anything.
    I'd suggest going to the help forums for advice on learning how it works. Ebay is, unfortunatly, not like most sites.

http://pages.ebay.com/community/boards/index.html
    Last edited by ctardi; April 12th, 2007 at 12:27 AM.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Originally Posted by ctardi
    I'd suggest going to the help forums.
    **** the help forums. What's there to say? If the seller disputes it, you give eBay your side, and that's that. You win or you lose. If you lose, you pay or forfeit your account. Period.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

In regards to learning how ebay works...your advice was fine for what to do for this sale.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Originally Posted by ctardi
    In regards to learning how ebay works...your advice was fine for what to do for this sale.
    Well, this type of thing happens, and there is a pretty well defined process. I've only sold several hundred things and bought a bit fewer, so I'm not "high volume", but I've seen this sort of thing... Some sellers are asshats. As a seller I'd just blow it off, but that's me, low stress type of guy.
  23. Trapped on the forums...help

I would offer to pay his relisting fee if he is complaining a lot, maybe he won't be so mad then as it does in fact cost him money if you don't pay and he has already relisted it
  25. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

When you press 'Buy It Now' - don't you need to re-enter your password ?

'Buy it Now' is a bit of a giveaway with what it means is it no !? Agreeing to buy on eBay is a binding contract by all accounts - although I can't see them taking you to court over it.
    The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

In a way I understand the OP, I do not agree that just clicking a button should make the sell ... at least the OP should have been CLEARLY informed about the action he was taking. If the OP was clearly informed and still proceded then it is his bussiness!

As for what the OP should do, well I think he got a lot of advise here

btw - do you people buy a lot from ebay .. I do not know, I really do not trust them that much! ... but then again, I do not even buy from amazon .. only from play.com!

Regards,
    Sim085
  29. EXOH

I called the seller today, at first his New York accent was intimidating (lol). He was very understanding and said that this type of thing happens all the time. He even agreed with me that eBay is confusing compared to other sites.

It's all taken care of, and I can stop worrying!

Comments on this post

• Arty Ziff agrees : Outstanding.
    • Adrastea0413 agrees : Like Guelphdad says below, good job in actually working through it and getting a result. That was the right thing to do and it's good to hear that you won't be losing $1,300!
    • B-Con agrees : Good job.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo