Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Fulltime job or Freelancing, which one is better and why?

What is your suggestion?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Fulltime is better, you'll focus to your business.
  5. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by samser_m

What is your suggestion?
    With a full-time job, you will get benefits (which may be important to many), and you may have job security, which is also good for those worried about needing to know they have income coming in.

With freelancing, there is no guaranteed income. However, as a freelancer, you can charge more per hour than you would make at a full-time job. (When first getting started as a freelancer, this will amount to less than what you would make at the full-time job.)
  7. No Profile Picture
    Gotta get to the next screen..
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Both have their pros and cons. Fulltime means you can easily get roped into doing overtime everyday and working on weekends, "come on, it's for the team". Freelance is good if you can get consistant work but it can suck when things slow down.

Working fulltime you don't really have to worry about your taxes since the company accountant will handle them whereas freelance you have to sort your own out or hire an accountant.

Fulltime you usually have to get up at some early hour of the morning and start your get ready and go to work mantra. Freelance usually means you can get up at a reasonable hour and work to suit yourself, so long as you meet your deadlines.

Fulltimers get paid vacation time and sick pay, freelancing means you've got to work that out on your own.

Fulltime you tend to be part of a team or people whilst working freelance you often get seen as an outsider which can be a bit cold. That's not always the case though, sometimes in fulltime your team can be a bunch of wankers and working freelance doesn't always mean you're seen as an outsider, it really depends on how you and the fulltimers get along.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  9. Contributing User

It really depends on your long term goals, and whether you can keep your self upskilled or if you'd need a company to put a training budget in place ...
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I always invisioned being part of a firm meant more money, like lawyers kind of. Freelancing I invision as working at home in your PJ's eating pancakes worrying about the search query SQL statement not working :P. Anyway, my 2 cents is that I'd rather be full-time.
    Adwords Professional
    You can give me
  13. Expert Debugger
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

The best deal would be, working as a part time and doing freelancing

Once you have a good freelancing hold ... leave the part time , you can earn far better working as a freelancer, also people should be aware of you and the quality of services you provide ...
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Or as an alternative, you could just work full-time, then kind of retire, or just quit, then freelance. That way you can work when you have customers and relax when you don't.
    Adwords Professional
    You can give me
  17. Contributing User

OK, this is getting a bit out of hand, Game Yin, I appreciate you're young, but don't you find it a bit amusing where a '13' year old is giving advice to people who have to pay rent or mortgages ... think about it a little ...

Comments on this post

• GameYin disagrees
    • Skipt agrees
    --Ax
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  19. Expert Debugger
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by Axweildr
    OK, this is getting a bit out of hand, Game Yin, I appreciate you're young, but don't you find it a bit amusing where a '13' year old is giving advice to people who have to pay rent or mortgages ... think about it a little ...
    yes i agree with Ax , he seems to be elder than that ...
  21. No Profile Picture

Hey, if Doogie Howser M.D. could do it...
  23. Contributing User

Doogie Howser was an actor reading from a script ... let's leave it at that ...
    --Ax
    Handmade Irish Jewellery

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  25. Blowing up trees with my mind.
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Originally Posted by Axweildr
    Doogie Howser was an actor reading from a script ... let's leave it at that ...
    What?? I thought everything on TV/Internet was real!!
  27. No Profile Picture

Exactly! If Doogie Howser was an actor then how did he perform all those operations? That's right, he couldn't of but since he did he must be a real doctor. So, leading us back to the original point; GameYin is in fact a professional guru and we should all feel lucky to be in their presense, I know my day is better for being aware of that.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Not quite 13 but I can still give my input. If he wishes to not take it then it then that's just him. I'm allowed to voice my opinion.

1st amendment k?

Comments on this post

• sizablegrin disagrees : No actual neg points this time, but you need to think or STFU.
    • fishtoprecords disagrees : You have no experience to base any coments on. Stick with what you know something about.
    Adwords Professional
    You can give me
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo