Thread: VIN Database..

1. I lov C in AIX/Linux, hate C++
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

VIN Database..

Speaking of vehicles like car, truck, etc. Seem that the wording in model and trim (or style) are different between those vendor (NADA, Black Book, Kelley Blue Book, etc). Those data from the vendor are really crap.

Anyone know where to get VIN database with year, make, model and trim (or style) that are compatible with Kelley Blue Book, NADA, Black Book, etc.?

Yea, I know posting this question is a long shot! But I'm curious to see what everyone have to say or know about it.

I'm kind of surprised that that some vendors (Kelley BLue Book, NADA, BlackBook, etc.) don't have a real VIN to begin with. I thought the solution to all of those problem is to narrow it down to using the VIN between those vendors.

Thanks...
  3. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

The VIN is a specific format. Any Chilton's will tell you exactly what the numbers mean. Of course there is CarFax...

Speaking of CarFax, I've got a 90 day unlimited subscription, and have already bought the car (06 Prius to balance my 02 Suburban). Anyone need one run?
  5. Can I get an Amen!
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

I think I know what you're asking here, but let me clarify.

You would like to see companies that provide vehicle value utilize a vehicle identification number form so that you don't have to describe you car to get the value?

If that's your question I can go into more detail, but the short answer is that it won't work for the simple reason that the VIN is not used for this purpose and wouldn't really do a great job of it either.

There are VIN "translators" out there however that will allow you to put in your number and get back some information about what it was when it rolled off the assembly line.
    The voice from the outer world
  7. I lov C in AIX/Linux, hate C++

Oh no, no book values. Just vehicle data, such as engine type, trim or style, vehicle weight, etc.
  9. Can I get an Amen!
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by fletchsod
    Oh no, no book values. Just vehicle data, such as engine type, trim or style, vehicle weight, etc.
    Alright, well like I said, this will give you off the assembly line values for these cars. My VIN tag, which is 11 digits, rather than today's 17, says that I own a blue on blue six cylinder automatic, single rear wheel drive 8.8 with a ratio of 2.76, a bench seat and a weight of about 2000lbs. It was constructed in Ft Deerborn MI on December 11th 1967.

However what I actually have is a Silver on black eight cylinder with a manual transmission, limited slip 9 inch with a 3.50 ratio, bucket seats and a weight of about 2200lbs. The rest really doesn't change.

I'm not sure why the NADA, blue book, black book or whoever else would care to invest time in a functionality like this which is flawed for the purpose.
    The voice from the outer world
  11. I lov C in AIX/Linux, hate C++

Yea! The last 6 digit is something that identify the vehicle, sort of like a counter once it come off the assembly line, like social security number of each person.

The first 11 digit except the 9th digit is what I want. ;-)

Alright, I'll have to think of something. Maybe manually create a VIN database myself and visually inspect each vehicle in Kelley Blue Book, NADA, Black Book, etc. and assign a vehicle id from each one of them to a VIN database I'll be making. The bad news is it would take forever. :-(

Comments on this post

• Arty Ziff agrees
  13. No Profile Picture
    Banned

The first 11 digit except the 9th digit is what I want. ;-)
    As I said, any Chilton's will tell you EXACTLY what these numbers mean. As well, here are some online decoders:

http://www.google.com/search?q=VIN+DECODER
  15. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Hollander has (or had, anyway) a PC e-book that included a VIN database and VIN decoding program. Keep googling, there are a couple others available. None are cheap, though. Most dismantlers have a computer system that includes a VIN decoder, if you happen to have any contacts in that area.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    I've never been able to appreciate the sublime arrogance of folks who feel they were put on earth just to save other folks from themselves .." - Donald Hamilton
  17. Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by JimmyGosling
    However what I actually have is a Silver on black eight cylinder with a manual transmission, limited slip 9 inch with a 3.50 ratio, bucket seats and a weight of about 2200lbs. The rest really doesn't change.
    Do the numbers match? Got 1967 air in the tires still?
    Or did someone buy a secretary's car and add some go fast parts?

Comments on this post

• Arty Ziff disagrees : Blather on...
    • sizablegrin disagrees : Who cares, huckfead? Facts are facts.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Originally Posted by Doug G
    Hollander has (or had, anyway) a PC e-book that included a VIN database and VIN decoding program. Keep googling, there are a couple others available. None are cheap, though. Most dismantlers have a computer system that includes a VIN decoder, if you happen to have any contacts in that area.
    I'm sorry, I just don't see what the big deal is. It's a publicaly disclosed format that is described in any decent auto manual. Why pay a dime for it? It's at the public library. On top of that, as you can see from the Google linky I gave, there are several free sources on-line.

Am I missing something?
  21. I lov C in AIX/Linux, hate C++

Originally Posted by fishtoprecords
    Do the numbers match? Got 1967 air in the tires still?
    Or did someone buy a secretary's car and add some go fast parts?
    You have to remember that the frist 11 digit VIN (or 17 digit VIN) identify the vehicle when it came right off of the assembly line. Then whoever own the vehicle are free to modify it as what JimmyGosling mentioned about his vehicle.

Whoever buy or sell vehicle such as auto/truck dealership doesn't care about the vehicle condition, mileage, body color, engine type, tranny type, etc. When the 17 digit VIN was first used, the VIN itself is unique as if it is your social security number. With you and your social security number, it still identify you even though if you're carrying someone else's organ as result of the organ transplant. ;-)

The VIN is also useful when keeping track of the inventory, etc.

Everyone else - As for the book value itself, it is close enough and it is used only as an estimate pricing, not an actual pricing. Whoever sell the vehicle can raise or lower the estimate pricing though.
    Last edited by fletchsod; October 2nd, 2008 at 03:19 PM.
  23. Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

A lot of this has been said, but maybe I could just recap. A unique ID assignment is not the same as a unique description unless the item described is immutable. That's rather rare.

A male human, for example, might have grown shorter or taller, added visual or hearing aids, developed a shorter **** with a longer time to use it, or any number of things.

Comprende?

Comments on this post

• JimmyGosling agrees : Exactly
    Write no code whose complexity leaves you wondering what the hell you did.
    Politically Incorrect DaWei on Pointers Grumpy on Exceptions
  25. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Speaking of vehicles like car, truck, etc. Seem that the wording in model and trim (or style) are different between those vendor (NADA, Black Book, Kelley Blue Book, etc). Those data from the vendor are really crap.

Anyone know where to get VIN database with year, make, model and trim (or style) that are compatible with Kelley Blue Book, NADA, Black Book, etc.?

Yea, I know posting this question is a long shot! But I'm curious to see what everyone have to say or know about it.

I'm kind of surprised that that some vendors (Kelley BLue Book, NADA, BlackBook, etc.) don't have a real VIN to begin with. I thought the solution to all of those problem is to narrow it down to using the VIN between those vendors.

Thanks...
    You might want to check VINquery.com. They provide real-time VIN decoding webservice. They call it REST web service. It is kind of XML over Http, not SOAP.

I'm not sure whether they provide VIN database that you can load into your own server without using their webservice.

Good luck.
  27. I lov C in AIX/Linux, hate C++

Originally Posted by DataMania
    You might want to check VINquery.com. They provide real-time VIN decoding webservice. They call it REST web service. It is kind of XML over Http, not SOAP.

I'm not sure whether they provide VIN database that you can load into your own server without using their webservice.

Good luck.
    Thanks for further info. Right now, we're still at loss on what to do over it. One thing is clear, we're avoiding webservice and REST webservice due to network/internet latency as we found out the hard way. So, a database option had become the man's best friend.

We also found out that the model name and trim/tyle name of some vehicles does not match some book type such as Manheim, Kelley Blue Book, Edmund, etc. Suck though! So, it make the VIN all the more appealing.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo