1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Convert mp4 to mp3 for free

I tried googleing but came up with a shareware free tool that does not cut it when converting mp4 to mp3. Anyone got any suggestions?

K
    Ty.
  3. Null Pointer Exception
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

I use winamp's built in conversion program to convert media files to different formats. Very useful.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for suggesting Winamp. I was browsing cnet and of a search for a converter a huge majority are limited versions or demos. Some of the ones listed as "free" are demos in disquise. You may have to look at the reviews to find out that app listed as free is a limited demo or a trial. Here is the review from Tubetilla from its own website not Cnet as no one has posted a review there

Originally Posted by Angry Reviewer
    Tubetilla free is a fake they ba****d given nothing but restrictions. Dont use it get rid of it.

They are ba****d fake, fake, fake, restricted, restricted. They are cheaters.

f*** you
    It saves me the trouble but one wonders why the developers have to cheat people to try a "free app".
  7. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

That "review" is worthless. And, *no* developer or company is required to give away their work. If you can't take the "restrictions", you buy a commercial product with the proper licenses, or move on. I've never used Tubetilla, but if it's "free", than basically, you take it or leave it.

The "I'll stomp my feet and scream CAPATALIST PIGS if it isnít FREE AS IN BEER" crowd generally grows out of this nonsense after their teen years. Except FishTaco and Richard Stallman.
    Originally Posted by van 2.0
    It saves me the trouble but one wonders why the developers have to cheat people to try a "free app".
    Free to try but not with all the functionality, if you wan't all the whiz-bangs you need to upgrade? Maybe? People got to eat...

Will Winamp do mp3 <---> mp4?
    Last edited by Arty Ziff; December 27th, 2008 at 01:32 PM.
  9. Null Pointer Exception

I think his real complaint is that the software gets listed as freeware, when it is actually shareware. A publisher knowing that people are browsing download.com for free software probably isn't willing to list their software as not free, so they misrepresent their program as being freeware to get attention.

That sort of thing bugs me as well, but it really just means cnet needs to do a better job of filtering out submissions that are inaccurately describing their product.

Comments on this post

• Arty Ziff agrees : Yes, I think you hit the nail on the head...
  11. Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Here's the deal. I might need a tool or utility that solves some particular problem for me. I might write it as a shell script, or in Perl, or in some other language that gives me a quick and useful response.

I might then realize that other people could use this utility. I've already invested the effort. In a spirit of largesse I decide to make the utility available to others, at no cost.

I might also realize that if I cleaned it up, added features, and made it easier to use, I might actually make a few bucks.

I then invest some costly hours and put the original and the improved out there for people to consider.

If I'm in the fractional-percent minority that really made a useful program I might actually make as much as the average person in a fast-food joint.

Why do you expect others to work for free when you, yourself, will not work for free?

The people who provide absolutely free software tend to cluster into one of three groups:

There are the teens who think they have something when they really have trash.

There are the people who are using the programming opportunity to learn. Their payoff is in the feedback that tells them how ****ed up they were.

There are the incredibly rich who have decided to "give back to the community" after having ripped them off significantly.

I realize that the term, "get real," is often overworked. That's because so many supposedly intelligent ****ers still believe in Santa Claus.
    Write no code whose complexity leaves you wondering what the hell you did.
    Politically Incorrect DaWei on Pointers Grumpy on Exceptions
  13. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Originally Posted by Grin
    There are the incredibly rich who have decided to "give back to the community" after having ripped them off significantly.
    Ubuntu? I'm not really into the user scheme with Ubuntu, I like to live dangerously and log in as root. But I will say this: Ubuntu installed on my Dell laptop without errors, saw all the hardware including sound, and connects to the Interweb. None of the other popular distros did this for me (laptops are well know to not play well with Linux).

On my other Linux machines, I run Genuine Red Hat Enterprise and CentOS exclusively. I just like the way Red Hat does things (I know, it's irrational).

When Photoshop runs natively on Linux, I'll kiss Windows good bye forever. I'm sorry, but the truth is Wine is half baked.

Comments on this post

• JordanT agrees : Completely agree with you
    Last edited by Arty Ziff; December 27th, 2008 at 11:47 PM.
  15. Null Pointer Exception

I wouldn't keep your breath in, photoshop will most likely never be ported, the customer base is all mac and windows.

Btw I mean't to answer this in my last post but forgot
    Originally Posted by arty
    Will Winamp do mp3 <---> mp4?
    Winamp will convert between any file type assuming you have the codec installed for the filetype. IE if winamp can play the mp4 file then it can encode it into a mp3. Of course there are licensing restrictions on some encoders, including LAME mp3. I'm not sure how winamp is able to have it included with the base install but it does.

My winamp plays mp4 files (therefor I can convert to mp3 from mp4 files), However I forget if it was natively supported or if I added it in.

I only use winamp to convert to .wav or .mp3 files, I'm not sure about doing mp3->mp4, but I have no idea why anyone would WANT to have a mp4 file.

Edit/Disclaimer: To avoid being a hypocrite about mislabeling software, winamp is not totally free, there is a paid version (which is very well priced given all of the capability it has), the free version includes the converter though.
    Last edited by misterdanny; December 28th, 2008 at 01:23 AM.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Originally Posted by misterdanny
    I wouldn't keep your breath in, photoshop will most likely never be ported, the customer base is all mac and windows.
    That's too bad. Isn't OSX based on Debian? It shouldn't be all that hard to port to linux... Porting *real* tools like Photoshop to Linux would do wonders for getting people to use Linux. Crap like "The Gimp" and Open Office just don't cut it.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

To Arty Ziff and sizablegrin. I have no beef if developers have to earn a living off their work, my problem as misterdanny concurs is when the product is mislabelled as "free" but is shareware or a demo. Do you also justify adware/spyware in this regard?

Comments on this post

• sizablegrin disagrees
  21. Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Did you see a justification for malware in those responses?

The TubeTilla site offers TubeTilla Pro for sale and TubeTilla Free for free. Are you so naive that you expected them to be equally functional? Since you bring up adware, did you happen to see the statement,
    Originally Posted by TubeTilla Site
    TubeTilla is safe, free from viruses and adware as tested by download.com.
    Write no code whose complexity leaves you wondering what the hell you did.
    Politically Incorrect DaWei on Pointers Grumpy on Exceptions
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I did not see the need for an irrelevant tangent or lecture about expecting software for free yadyada when this was not the issue. Similarly I would expect someone of 5th grade education and above to know that one can offer a free and a pro at the same time but the free does the basic job with the example of AVGFree vs AVGPro.

This is something someone can take up with the CNET admins since there many instances of misrepresentation of software. It would also help if the old farts kept their irrelevant banter about teens and free software out of this thread.

Comments on this post

• Arty Ziff agrees : Good points...
    • Joseph Taylor agrees
  25. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Originally Posted by van 2.0
    To Arty Ziff and sizablegrin. I have no beef if developers have to earn a living off their work, my problem as misterdanny concurs is when the product is mislabelled as "free" but is shareware or a demo. Do you also justify adware/spyware in this regard?
    Adware, yes. (As you may recall, Opera and several older but at one time popular email clients such as Eudora were at one time "adware").

If you install "adware", you know what you are getting: a program that is "free" to you because the developer gets money from ads. You don't like the ads? Don't use the application. And quit your bitching, no one forced you to install it.

Did I mention that Opera used to be "adware"? Does that make it "malware"?

Now, what is or is not "malware" is open to debate. Clearly some things are simply and honestly "malware". But the sticks and twigs and Cheeto eating Richard Syallman worshiping Slashdot reading basement dwellers may have a different definition of "malware" than I do...

Speaking of Eudora, I didn't realize it was still even around!
  27. c0der
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

It's been said that open source software is only free if your time is worthless.

That in mind, ffmpeg -i pr0n.mp4 whap_whap_whap.mp3 works fine on my mac.
  29. Null Pointer Exception

A program having ads withn it, atleast IMO are an ok thing (if the program is distributed free), websites do the same thing, devshed is a free forum so there are ads on it.

The negative term of adware is when ads are shown to you even when the application is closed, because the application also has set up scheduled tasks and the such to open Internet explorer windows to show you an ad. This is just one example, adware comes in all sorts of different shapes sizes and forms (ie installing those "very useful" toolbars into your browser)

Originally Posted by sizablegrin
    The TubeTilla site offers TubeTilla Pro for sale and TubeTilla Free for free. Are you so naive that you expected them to be equally functional? Since you bring up adware, did you happen to see the statement,
    I (and probably no one else) would expect the features to be the same, however if TubeTilla free were to just be a "teaser" application that can't do anything besides tell you what you COULD do if you purchase the full version, then it should be labeled as such. The official Tubetilla website seems to accurately describe the differences between free and pro. Because the free version provides some functionality I would say it is fair to call it a free version. However if it were simply a teaser that just said "you could convert files or download videos if you bought the full version" then it would be a misrepresentation, it should be labeled as a demo/example/trial.

Tubetilla does not do this, Tubetilla accurately represents the differences in the two versions. However, it represents a minority of applications. Most free applications are severely mislabeled to get you to download the teaser application, which then tries to get you to purchase and unlock any useful features.

The better example is in antivirus/malware applications, where it will detect the virus but not remove it. If anything they should call these things malware DETECTORS. The fact that the company chooses to sell the remover separately is perfectly ok, it is a business after all. But if they are releasing a program that removes malware separately they need to make a clear distinction rather than try and trick users into downloading the detector.

Comments on this post

• sizablegrin agrees : I agree with your, generally, in your comments. I'll see you about that, later.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo