Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

You probably shouldn't be so quick to jump on psychological buzzwords to explain your perceived difficulties. Just knuckle down and go to work.

If you've managed to be weaned, prolly no one is going to unwean you, your retrograde desires to the contrary.
    Write no code whose complexity leaves you wondering what the hell you did.
    Politically Incorrect DaWei on Pointers Grumpy on Exceptions
  3. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

I'm a Web junkie. I have a hard time staying away from the browser. I should be coding right now, but I'm here, at /. and reading news.

As for "ADHD", I think 90% of the people that claim to have "it" do not, and use it as a crutch for laziness. Most people are lazy. I am lazy. I'm on the fence with ADHD, I'm inclined to say it's a made-up "syndrome". Certainly it is most offten miss-applied to teenaged boys, who are that way naturally. Pills for everyone!

Comments on this post

• bals28mjk agrees
    • sizablegrin agrees : It's hard to claim a decent case of ADHD when you groggily recover from your Ritalin long enough to grunt, "Duh."
    • Skipt agrees
  5. Person
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

One thing I would consider doing is listening to music with a comfortable chair, kiwiberries.

If I say to myself, "oh no, not more boring stuff", I already told myself I don't want to do it.. so I won't. Or hate doing.

But if I say to myself "now I get to relax and listen to music.. and get my work done", chances raise significantly of getting boring crap done easily.

Comments on this post

• Skipt agrees
    Give Opera some love. Use it and you'll see why.

Oh, those monkeys.::What's wrong with the world today?::The lion king in 5 seconds.

My body is so sexy.
  7. Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Some folks like music, etc.

I find that for serious work, debugging hard bugs, etc. that I can't work with any noise at all. So I tend to do serious work between 10PM and 3 AM, after my wife has gone to bed and the house is quiet. No music, no TV, nothing

The office is for meetings, talking to co-workers, etc. I can't do any serious development there.

YMMV

Comments on this post

• Winters agrees : For casual coding I like a bit of music but for more in-depth constructs I also need dead silence, otherwise I cannot focus.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

According to the real programmers over at Slashdot, coding can only take place while listening to alternative techno-grunge downloaded from torrents, while guzzling Dew, vacuuming up Cheeto's, and watching "pr0n" on your second of 4 26 inch flat screens.

It's a fact...

Seriously, Fish nailed it for me.

Comments on this post

• Skipt agrees
  11. Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

I truly don't "get" people who can't do anything without a set of headphones on. One wonders what their sexual partner really thinks.

Anyone who has learned to not hear their mother when she yells, "It's time to come in, now!" should be reasonably good at tuning things out.

Comments on this post

• Arty Ziff agrees : They have ADHD...
    • Muzza agrees
    Write no code whose complexity leaves you wondering what the hell you did.
    Politically Incorrect DaWei on Pointers Grumpy on Exceptions
  13. User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I have a short attention span, ie I start a project and get bored of it, come back in a few months and restart for about a week non-stop then stop again. I've been developing a web-app now for over 3 years. Keep stopping and starting.

I don't label myself as ADHD, I'm just lazy and have a really short attention span

Comments on this post

• Skipt agrees
  15. Contributing User
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I'm going to call you Bob ...
    Bob,
    if you focus, you don't need to concentrate

yeah, you ;-)
    Last edited by Axweildr; September 6th, 2009 at 07:32 PM.
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  17. Person
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

I have a short attention span, ie I start a project and get bored of it, come back in a few months and restart for about a week non-stop then stop again. I've been developing a web-app now for over 3 years.
    The same app?
    Give Opera some love. Use it and you'll see why.

Oh, those monkeys.::What's wrong with the world today?::The lion king in 5 seconds.

My body is so sexy.
  19. Contributing User
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Nobody's mentioned the obvious?

Get off, one way or another, and you've got eight hours of concentration time.
    Chat Server Project & Tutorial | WiFi-remote-control sailboat (building) | Joke Thread
    “Rational thinkers deplore the excesses of democracy; it abuses the individual and elevates the mob. The death of Socrates was its finest fruit.”
    Use XXX in a comment to flag something that is bogus but works. Use FIXME to flag something that is bogus and broken. Use TODO to leave yourself reminders. Calling a program finished before all these points are checked off is lazy.
    -Partial Credit: Sun

If I ask you to redescribe your problem, it's because when you describe issues in detail, you often get a *click* and you suddenly know the solutions.
    Ches Koblents
  21. /usr/bin/drinking
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by sizablegrin
    I truly don't "get" people who can't do anything without a set of headphones on.
    I agree.

Seems these days, alot of people are used to noise of some kind or other encroaching on their every waking moments. It's like they can't function when there is no background sound at all. For me I seem to get more distracted/harder to concentrate if there is background music playing.
  23. Null Pointer Exception
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

I probably pass for several personality, mental, and lethargy disorder tests, but I still get stuff done. Just remember that most of these disorders were invented to boost drug company profits.

If you're doing something boring or repetitive, maybe it's a sign to try a new approach. See if there are any available software libraries you can use to make the job easier, use a different design model (maybe one you haven't used before, or less familiar with). I typically find that if you're doing a lot of repetitive work then you're not using your resources to their fullest potential.

Of course you might just be doing something in which the most practical way is to do a lot of repetition.
  25. Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by misterdanny
    Just remember that most of these disorders were invented to boost drug company profits.
    He speaketh the truth!

Originally Posted by misterdanny
    If you're doing something boring or repetitive, maybe it's a sign to try a new approach.
    Lazyness is a key criteria for successful programming.

Things like adding getters and setter to Java classes is too boring for humans to waste time on, that is what tools are for.
  27. Pasan Indeewara
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

After some heavy coding work sometimes, it's pain on eyes.. they're straining
    But still have to continue because this is our life...

Need a way of quick n effective relaxing on the go while coding...
    Cheers!!
    Pasan Indeewara

.. ~~ World iz Changing ~~..
    Let da bitz & bytes make it a better place

29. Null Pointer Exception
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Turn down the brightness and/or contrast on your monitor/s.

Reduces tons of eyestrain.

That and make sure you have the most expensive ergonomic leathery awesome computer chair ever.

Comments on this post

• pasanindeewara agrees
    • Tann San agrees : New Chair FTW!
    Last edited by misterdanny; September 18th, 2009 at 10:56 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo