Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Typing into address bar versus using a search engine?

If you look at the top searches for the famous search engines, a lot of the top searches are other well known websites. e.g. yahoo, myspace e.t.c

I was wondering does anyone have any statistics comparing the percent of visitors that use a search engine to type a domain name to those that still use an address bar?
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Old people who don't know how to use a browser.

One would imagine the statistic varies depending on what your site is for. A programming site probably has people remembering the several-letter address, whereas shopping sites probably have a higher number of people who type "www.amazon.com" into google.

Comments on this post

• jzd agrees
    Chat Server Project & Tutorial | WiFi-remote-control sailboat (building) | Joke Thread
    “Rational thinkers deplore the excesses of democracy; it abuses the individual and elevates the mob. The death of Socrates was its finest fruit.”
    Use XXX in a comment to flag something that is bogus but works. Use FIXME to flag something that is bogus and broken. Use TODO to leave yourself reminders. Calling a program finished before all these points are checked off is lazy.
    -Partial Credit: Sun

If I ask you to redescribe your problem, it's because when you describe issues in detail, you often get a *click* and you suddenly know the solutions.
    Ches Koblents
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Also, a lot of browser address bars will forward to a search engine. For example if I type just yahoo into the search bar in Chrome it searches Google for "yahoo".

Comments on this post

• gimp agrees
  7. Sarcky

In most browsers, ctrl+enter will auto-complete the "www" and "com" portions of the address. type "google" and hit ctrl+enter, you should be taken to www.google.com in most browsers. There are other hotkeys for .net and .org, if I remember correctly.

Like XKCD recently demonstrated, you really don't want to know the methods people use to do what they do. My grandmother always navigates to C:\Documents_and_Settings\Mom\My_Documents before she goes anywhere else. She doesn't know why, she just does.

-Dan
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  9. Learning MySQL, PHP & CSS

My partner does it all the time! Types "www.facebook.com" into the Google seach, then follows the link. She's not old (well, I wouldn't dare tell her she is). I've even said "why not add it to your Favourites? She already had... but still bloody Googles for it!

On the odd occasion when she types into the browser address bar (usually for her Yahoo! email account) she completely ignores the autocomplete and just carries on typing.

I can't watch any more, does ma heid in :-(

Comments on this post

• Kravvitz agrees : Yeah, watching non-techies use computers can be painful.
    It said 'Insert disk #2', but only one will fit.
  11. Type Cast Exception

Originally Posted by mikeatvillage
    My partner does it all the time! Types "www.facebook.com" into the Google seach, then follows the link.
    I do it by accident sometimes, especially on my [mobile-web-device-that-makes-phone-calls], but at least I know what I just did. Often I just copy and paste what I typed in the search bar into the address bar as intended.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  13. Lounge Troll
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Or the people who type the URL in the Google search bar You know you can't get out to the internet without "The Google."

Comments on this post

• medialint agrees : It's like the best of AOL, Compuserve and Prodigy all in one place!!!!!11111
    Codeinated
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hehe, I do that sometimes too. Usually it's when I'm on somebody else's computer. If my memory doesn't fail in getting the URL right, typing it in certainly will.

I use favorites on my computer, mostly.
  17. manwich
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I work tech support for a hosting company, a few weeks ago a guy called in about some of his pages not showing up correctly. After fighting with the guy for quite some time about the fact that his pages were perfectly fine I hear "well I type www.mydomain.com/somepage.html into Google and I don't see anything!" and I just about flipped my wig.

I told him to type it into the address bar, not Google. "Ok, now this one comes up, but when I type this other page into Google..."

Some people just don't understand that Google != the internet.
  19. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 2nd Plane (6000 - 6499 posts)

I've done it a few times by accidently mostly. Fairly often I'll open firefox, ctrl+l to get into the address bar but just as I start typing google's JS changes the focus to the search field and I don't notice.

My parents used to do it a lot as well, but I think they have finally stopped.

Something else I've noticed watching friends use the computer is people tend not to know about sub-domains. For example, my girlfriend, and some of my other friends always go to yahoo.com, login, then click on the mail link even though I've mentioned a few times they could just go to mail.yahoo.com and login directly from there.
    If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud
  21. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

Yes, sadly, very few people understand how the domain structure of the Internet works. Every site worth visiting is a dot-com, right? :lol:

And some people don't even understand the term "web browser". Apparently they just click on the blue "e" icon to visit web sites. *shudders*
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Learn CSS. | PHP includes | HTML Validator | CSS validator

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  23. Learning MySQL, PHP & CSS

In 20+ years of "messing with computers" I've never even seen AOL :-)
    It said 'Insert disk #2', but only one will fit.
  25. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

Originally Posted by mikeatvillage
    In 20+ years of "messing with computers" I've never even seen AOL :-)
    I used it as an ISP for a while a long time ago. And I even still have an AOL email account though I've been slowly migrating off of it for a long while now.

Have you ever used MSN or Compuserve as an ISP or did you always use a local dial-up provider (before switching to broadband, assuming you have switched)?
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Learn CSS. | PHP includes | HTML Validator | CSS validator

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  27. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by Kravvitz
    And some people don't even understand the term "web browser". Apparently they just click on the blue "e" icon to visit web sites. *shudders*
    Yes I had a co-worker who was asking for some help and told her just open a open a web browser and go to X. Then she said she did not know what I was talking about. So I asked "How do you get to the the internet?". She replied: "Oh, you mean click on the blue E?"
  29. Lord of Dorkness

Central New York. Texan via Arizona, out of his element!
    click on the blue E
    Pure marketing gold, like it or not. My son used to demand Nikes and I'm fairly certain he had no idea of how or where shoes were made.
    Functionality rules and clarity matters; if you can work a little elegance in there, you're stylin'.
    If you can't spell "u", "ur", and "ne1", why would I hire you? 300 baud modem? Forget I mentioned it.
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo