Thread: Hobbies...

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Hobbies...

What are some great and creative hobbies to get into or are already into? I love to cook very much, but it's not that active of a hobby. Any other ideas?
  3. Person
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

There's lots of stuff along side cooking. I guess I can list a few of mine since you're interested.

- Programming
    - Excercise - resistance/cardio vascular
    - Anything that has anything to do with knowledge and learning something new
    - Drinking lots and lots of beer/alcohol

That's it pretty much. I like watching television too, I like reality tv and comedy stuff. Science channel too.
    Give Opera some love. Use it and you'll see why.

Oh, those monkeys.::What's wrong with the world today?::The lion king in 5 seconds.

My body is so sexy.
  5. No Profile Picture

Creativ ehobbies? I think Hobby is just individual.
    Just do what you want to do.

7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for your input guys! I definitely like to exercise too, but i've been lazy lately... Seems like i'm lacking the motivation.
  9. Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

I think that by definition, a hobby has to use different parts of your brain than your work. Since most of us are programmers, anything very computer related seems to be too close to work.

A couple of decades ago, I got into MIDI synthesizers, control programs, etc. which while using a computer, was using it as a tool, not as a programmer.

Lately, i've been hacking with an Arduino, which is probably too close, but my day job is all about scalable web servers and big databases -- so the microcontroller stuff seems different.
  11. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by fishtoprecords
    I think that by definition, a hobby has to use different parts of your brain than your work. Since most of us are programmers, anything very computer related seems to be too close to work.

A couple of decades ago, I got into MIDI synthesizers, control programs, etc. which while using a computer, was using it as a tool, not as a programmer.

Lately, i've been hacking with an Arduino, which is probably too close, but my day job is all about scalable web servers and big databases -- so the microcontroller stuff seems different.
    As you said computer related is too close to work, for this reason although software synthesizers and things like Reaktor are super awesome, even somewhat fun, my muse goes running when she smells a computer. For this reason I'm rather low tech now in my music, preferring to play almost exclusively now my beloved Nord Electro 2 (73)* which doesn't make any beeps or boops (aside from tricks with the ring modulator) just piano and organ, and not presently recording, I'm looking for a desktop hard disk recorder when it's in the budget. Mostly I just sing to my kid now.

The product page sums it up: Great tools are simple ones, and the Electro 2 is a great tool for musicians. By focusing on just a few features, we’ve avoided spreading ourselves thin with unnecessary technological gadgets.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  13. Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by medialint
    my muse goes running when she smells a computer. For this reason I'm rather low tech now in my music
    As am I, which is why I play a Gibson ES-335 which is based on a design from the 1930s into a Fender tube amp with genuine 6L6 power tubes glowing red.

Comments on this post

• medialint agrees
    • ManiacDan agrees : I know I rep you every time you talk about your guitar...and I don't care.
  15. No Profile Picture

Why cook is not that active of a hobby? I think it is great!
  17. Type Cast Exception

I enjoy cooking too, at least I enjoy it when I have the time, space and equipment to do it right. I don't consider this a hobby though, rather it's putting dinner on the table. More accurately: I enjoy eating food that didn't come from a freezer.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  19. No Profile Picture

- Developing my own projects
    - Home automation (gotta love automatic lights when you need the loo at 3am!)
    - Pencil art/sketching
    - Spending time with my other half (had to put that in case she reads this)
    - exploring the area/finding a nice peaceful spot to relax in the country, preferably next to a river.

T
  21. No Profile Picture

As far as more productive hobbies go, I'd recommend physical exercise, particularly weight training and distance cycling.

Comments on this post

• bals28mjk agrees
  23. Hats off to Mr. Joseph donahue
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Photography, taekwondo, philately and thats all (as I cant mention programming)...

BTW Does Being infected by chicken pox counts as a hobby?? Cause I just got chicken pox for the eighth time... :-O
  25. BANDITS 6'0 Clock !
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Get a road-bike ... it has all the elements, you have speed, risk, fun, health benefits, a great social activity, competitiveness, and an absolutely great way to meet people, from different backgrounds!

-Mav

p.s. road bike is not a motorcycle )
    The only Verdict is Vengeance a Vendetta held as a Votive, not in Vain, for the Value and Veracity of such shall one day Vindicate the Vigilant and the Virtuous

Mav RLZ AC/DC RLZ
  27. Humble Learner

Abstract photography and upload those to windows live.

Half hobby and half e-hobby
  29. Sarcky

+1 on cooking, doing something properly in an environment that's not clinical and exact is very satisfying. Cleaning, not so much...
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo