1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Let's Discus a Web Master's Salary

Hello DevSheders,

This question has often crossed my mind before, I can only speculate, but want to know just what is the average web master's average salary.

Let's take bob, for instance, he's just left college with a Bachelor's Degree in computer science, and he's a Zend Certified Engineer - he's still living in his parent's basement, but this is something he plans to remedy in the near future.

Bob owns five websites that provide various information on computing, and each site gets around 40 - 60 unique hits per day. Bob plans to implement Google AdSense to offer his users relevant advertisement and in return gain pocket money.

I'm bob.

How much could I expect to annually per month given what I've just mention?
  3. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Not nearly enough to pay your parents for your share of the electric bill. By no means would I call this any sort of salary. You can continue to run these sites in your spare time while putting your education to use for someone that will pay a salary, though.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

I doubt it would pay for the domains and server space...
  7. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Now change that 40-60 hits to 40-60 thousand hits per day. Different story.
    Adam TT
  9. Moderator Emeritus

Ads won't become lucrative until you're in the tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of unique visitors.

F/T PHP developers make between 35k and 50k, unless you're one of the lucky ones that works for Facebook.

Don't quit your day job.
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
    The Most Important Article You Can Read as a Developer
  11. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I'm not particularly business savvy, but I knew ads wouldn't generate much revenue. I was thinking of commission from the Amazon API or some other E-commerce one. Is there any other decent method for a site to generate revenue?
  13. Moderator Emeritus

The best way to make money on the web is to offer goods and/or services that people actually want to pay for, or to offer such great information that you can generate revenue through ads. Building a company online is no different than building a company offline; you have to actually have something to offer if you expect to make any money doing it, and even then there's no guarantee.

Comments on this post

• WixxyCrisps agrees : You're probably right too
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
    The Most Important Article You Can Read as a Developer
  15. Maddening Moderator

The only time I've seen ads pay off is when you get an advertiser to pay money to advertise on your site, but you'd have to have lots of traffic for it to be worth their consideration.

Basically, 40-60 visitors per day isn't enough for advertising to make a difference.
  17. Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Wow, I thought this thread would be about a webmaster's salary. All the talk is about the domain owner's profit or lack thereof. These topics hardly overlap.

I am curious as to what today's professional webmaster makes running a major site. Back in the late 90s, the webmaster's salary was usually in the low six figures.

As others have said, having a site with fewer than 10,000 unique visitors each month is not going to be a for-profit venture. Get that number up to 100,000 and one can probably move out of the parents basement. Get it to a half million visitors, and you can start to have $90K or even $100K annual gross revenue. That's still not the same as $100K salary, there are costs in supporting the site.

I've been playing with photography as a hobby, and one site that I find interesting is http://strobist.blogspot.com/
    The owner is public about the number of visitors and his ad rates. This is a very popular site among photographers and it appears that his advertising revenue is up near the $100K number. In addition, his adds have a referral link, so that if you click on the ad and buy something, he gets a small commission on the sale.

Suggestion to bob: find a day job.

Comments on this post

• WixxyCrisps agrees : Thanks for your reply, very insightful, I'll skip the day job, though.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo