Thread: Windows 7

1. Eager to learn
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Windows 7

Prob belongs in windows forum but whatever

Anyway, used my student ID to get windows 7 for like 20 dollars or something a while ago, instaled it, now after 30 days it says I must activate. I had been putting it off because i am lazy. However my case that had the CD and stuff has no product key on it for me to enter, weird I thought, so i just downloaded magicjellybean and recovered my product key, however it said that the key was "a default product key, and can not be used for activation"

This confused me, and so after this happened I was pissed, so I went off to MS website for support, and I try to get support, while doing so they ask for me to enter in my product ID so I entered in the one I had just used to attempt to activate, since that was my default key, and they said in order for me to get support in activating, they were going to charge me 49 dollars or some bull****.

So I said screw it, took advice from Ryon and just got some torrent from piratebay. Hopefully I won't need it.

Anyway, is there some place I can just get a product key to activate this windows, witth using my student discount? I have used my 30 days already so a quick reply would be nice, I don't want my OS shuttin down on me :P

Thanks
    "Quality of responses may vary. I reserve the right to change my mind for any reason what-so-ever without admitting I was wrong. I'd prefer to change your mind however, it's easier on my ego". - jwdonahue

"so no-one has actually bothered to post an original quote ? what's wrong with making up your own?"
    - marnixR
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I know that your local NEX on any military base has a military discounted version, that may combine with student discounts (assuming you are or have a friend that is in the military)
  5. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 2nd Plane (6000 - 6499 posts)

When I was in college and picked up XP for $5, what they did was burn you a CD of the iso and then the school had some site they went on to get product keys If I remember right. I know for other software like office and VS.NET they had a site provided by MS that we could go on to download the ISO and part of the download process was us entering our email address and it would email us install instructions + a product key.

If you got your copy through the school's IT group like we did, maybe you could go ask them for a key.
    If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud
  7. Eager to learn

I got my copy of windows from here -> http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/windows/buynow/default.aspx

I feel scammed ;-;
    "Quality of responses may vary. I reserve the right to change my mind for any reason what-so-ever without admitting I was wrong. I'd prefer to change your mind however, it's easier on my ego". - jwdonahue

"so no-one has actually bothered to post an original quote ? what's wrong with making up your own?"
    - marnixR
  9. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 2nd Plane (6000 - 6499 posts)

Originally Posted by Skipt
    I got my copy of windows from here -> http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/windows/buynow/default.aspx

I feel scammed ;-;
    Originally Posted by the site
    To Purchase:
    Check your email inbox.
    Click on the link in the email to get access to the store.
    Purchase license/product key.
    Add Back-up media to your order (optional).
    Checkout and download the products that you have purchased!
    Is it possible you can go back to the site you purchased from, login, and find your key there? I bought a couple things off the microsoft store and that is how they work. I can login, look at my purchase history, and next to each product purchase they have the key.

Comments on this post

• Skipt agrees
    • bals28mjk agrees
    If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud
  11. Eager to learn

I'm going to try it now. They have a link for "Returning Customers". I will also try checking my email for any information, though I don't think there is any in there

- marnixR
  13. Eager to learn

Found it activation successful. Cheers all for the help, truly appreciated

- marnixR
  15. No Profile Picture

how do you like windows 7 actually? in my opinion it is a bit like an old copy of apple o.s.
    just curious
  17. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

how do you like windows 7 actually? in my opinion it is a bit like an old copy of apple o.s.
    As someone who has used windows, mac, and linux professionally, I'll say WIn7 is Microsoft's best product yet. It still falls short of OSX and various Linux distributions (I use ubuntu for my work machines) but it's a solid effort. They still need to improve security, stability, user interface, compatibility, and tweak the ease of use of the more confusing features, but I wouldn't hesitate to switch an entire office over to Win7 (aside from the staggering cost).

-Dan
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  19. No Profile Picture

I don't know but i would love if someone could find an answer to this question.

Comments on this post

• ManiacDan disagrees : This makes no sense
  21. Eager to learn

"Question"????? You asked an opinion question, there is no answer.

However, I have used only xp, vista, and now 7. I have also just played around on my friends Mac. I like windows 7 the best, mostly because all of its so familiar and easy to find/use.

With mac's they have so many features I don't know about its a little weird. But I would never pay for such overpriced rubbish for the looks.

- marnixR
  23. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

With mac's they have so many features I don't know about its a little weird. But I would never pay for such overpriced rubbish for the looks.
    Perhaps, and I'm going out on a limb here, but perhaps part of the price comes from the features you don't know about. Maybe.

I've used every Windows since 3.11 and every version of macOS since...8 I think. I've also been a heavy user of unix/linux for more than a decade. I'll have to say that Windows 7 is the best windows ever made, but it still doesn't do what I want it to do. I do ALL of my work and most of my day-to-day tasks in Ubuntu. My parents and grandparents all have macs because I told them to buy them. I keep a win7 partition at home for games and for windows-only software (the HD camcorder I have records in a proprietary format only readable by their windows-only software).

Also, ignore the spammer boosting his post count.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  25. Eager to learn

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    Also, ignore the spammer boosting his post count.
    Who? 'lint? Or Arty

Comments on this post

• ManiacDan agrees : Har har

- marnixR

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo