Thread: In demand?

1. Eager to learn
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

In demand?

Not quite sure which specific forum to post this in so I figured lounge is pretty general.

For the programmers out there, what is the most in demand language? Also, which is the one that gets paid the most? (Most likely they correlate with one another)

I am only really interested in the first, and just curious about the second.

I have searched for this, but I suspect most results are pretty much out of date. Note I am not talking about web language. So basically like C#, C++, vb.net, Java...stuff like that. However if you know something interesting about web language being in demand, certainly post.
    Last edited by Skipt; September 29th, 2011 at 12:46 PM.
    "Quality of responses may vary. I reserve the right to change my mind for any reason what-so-ever without admitting I was wrong. I'd prefer to change your mind however, it's easier on my ego". - jwdonahue

"so no-one has actually bothered to post an original quote ? what's wrong with making up your own?"
    - marnixR
  3. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

I can't really say what is in demand for sure. Based on my observations of how tech is moving, I'd say that for the web, Javascript is becoming the big player and being well versed in it would be a big advantage. JS is gaining some server-side popularity with things like Node.JS as well so worth looking into.

As for non-web based stuff, I'd probably say Java and either C# or C++. If I recall correctly, android works off Java so there may be a market there with mobile apps. C++ seems to be the language of choice for anything requiring fast execution (ie, games, simulations, etc). C# seems popular for every day desktop apps.

Like I said, that's all just based on my personal observations, not based on any kind of research or anything.

Personally, I plan to take a closer look at Javascript again. I used to be pretty good with it, but it has changed a lot over the years and I haven't kept up with it. Most my work involved server-side work or just basic JS (form validation and such).
    Recycle your old CD's, don't just trash them

If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud
  5. Eager to learn

Interesting. I heard C++ has a pretty steep learning curve. I am most proficient in Java so I think I'm going to start learning that, and OOP/OOD.

I'd love to hear more input
    "Quality of responses may vary. I reserve the right to change my mind for any reason what-so-ever without admitting I was wrong. I'd prefer to change your mind however, it's easier on my ego". - jwdonahue

"so no-one has actually bothered to post an original quote ? what's wrong with making up your own?"
    - marnixR
  7. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Knowing one particular language isn't as important as knowing how to program. Languages will fade in and out over time, but once you know how to program switching between languages is primarily just a matter of learning syntax and standard library differences.

what is the most in demand language? Also, which is the one that gets paid the most? (Most likely they correlate with one another)
    Actually they probably don't correlate as well as you'd think. The programmers who have to maintain legacy business systems written in some obscure 80's programming language get paid really well, but those languages are not at all in demand.

Out of curiosity, how can you be proficient at Java and not know OOP?

Comments on this post

• medialint agrees
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  9. Eager to learn

Its relative to my experience in the other languages. I tend to not re-read what I type

Java is being annoying, I can't seem to find what specifically to download to start, and also an editor I can easily start with. Every place I search at tells me to download a different package. I'm almost considering switching to C++ right now. This is frustrating.

- marnixR
  11. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

For Java all that is really required is the JDK:
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...ad-432154.html

As far as an editor goes, I just use Notepad++, but it really just comes down to personal preference.

A full blown Java tutorial is beyond the scope of a forum post. There are lots of tutorials available online that explain getting started with Java or Java+Eclipse.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  13. Eager to learn

Whats the difference between Java and Java + eclipse?

in the end I downloaded Netbeans IDE and am going to use that as my editor, its what I used in HS and am most familiar with it

- marnixR
  15. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Originally Posted by Skipt
    Whats the difference between Java and Java + eclipse?
    "Java" would be just using an editor such as notepad to code, and a command prompt to compile and run your classes.

"Java+Eclipse" would still just be java, but using the eclipse IDE for development rather than doing it all yourself. Eclipse is fairly popular I think. I tried it once, didn't much care for it but I hear a lot of people mention it. Though I have heard Netbeans poping up more an more lately.
    Recycle your old CD's, don't just trash them

If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud
  17. Eager to learn

Hm, I would think for me to learn, it would be faster to have me type the code. Then again, from web design I never have been much of a fan of WYSIWYG editors.

- marnixR
  19. Sarcky

HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  21. Lord of Dorkness

Central New York. Texan via Arizona, out of his element!
    People go on about WYSIWYG editors like they go on about open-source software. Knee-jerk.

I've used Dreamweaver quite a bit. I've never used the WYSIWYG mode. I looked at it and it's not even close to accurate. I've never let it generate a single line of code. It still has a reasonably decent and configurable editor, FTP, some version control, etc.

Any deficiencies I have in web design or programming or anything else are mine, not Dreamweaver's or any other editor's or IDE's.
    Functionality rules and clarity matters; if you can work a little elegance in there, you're stylin'.
    If you can't spell "u", "ur", and "ne1", why would I hire you? 300 baud modem? Forget I mentioned it.
    DaWei on Pointers Politically Incorrect.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Language Most in Demand

It looks like javascript is becoming the most popular, and thus, most in demand language out there. This would be the language I would focus on if I wanted to make a living as a programmer.
  25. Type Cast Exception

Originally Posted by georgealarcon
    It looks like javascript is becoming the most popular, and thus, most in demand language out there.
    Javascript is leveraged in many other development platforms for interface concerns, including ASP, etc. However, that's what they give the entry level "developers" to work on while the actual development is being done. It's pretty hard to screw it up and if you do it's going to be easy to fix, unlike security and querying databases, etc.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  27. Sarcky

Originally Posted by medialint
    Javascript is leveraged in many other development platforms for interface concerns, including ASP, etc. However, that's what they give the entry level "developers" to work on while the actual development is being done. It's pretty hard to screw it up and if you do it's going to be easy to fix, unlike security and querying databases, etc.
    That's 100% true until someone at the top decides to make the site entirely javascript with no actual HTML output at all except the JS code. The structure of the organization changes without the roles changing, and then you end up with Gawker, down for nearly 3 weeks because their site changed to JS-only and the code was wrong.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo