1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Forum Way over my Head Sorry... but question on AVG, please

I use my 8 year old notebook to look for jobs and communicate and since I have no money I have been using AVG for years for my antivirus/antimalware program along with a few other free online programs.

Recently, AVG wants me to upgrade to AVG free 2012 but I stopped upgrading when it seems that it does not include some of the browsing/live protection that AVG free 2011 does. I have tried asking that question on the AVG forum but whenever I hit the post button, it seems to ignore my post and puts me back to the login screen.

What is the poop on comparing free AVG 2011 to free 2012?

Thank you so much for your help!!!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi,

I'm not really sure since I dropped avg for avast this year. I seem to be having better luck with it and the avast shields and realtime protection keeping out the typical fake virus alerts and trojans that avg was letting through.

When you say browsing security are you talking about link scanner? I notice it is a separate plugin for firefox and IE in the 2012 version.
    http://download.cnet.com/AVG-LinkScanner-Free-Edition-2012/3000-2144_4-10610872.html

Also, I don't know if you have access to a copy of the 2011 installer but here's a page with links for both 2012 and 2011 offline installers if you want to be able to try 2012 out for your self and be able to go back to 2011 if you don't like it.

http://www.mytechguide.org/8566/avg-antivirus-2011-free/
  5. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo