Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

OK... Sorry... I'm new to this and don't know...

Earlier today I posted something on the PHP forum and wanted to post a photo example of the problem but it would let me and then a posted a reply to explain it wouldn't let me post the picture. The I figured out I should have posted to the HTML forum which I did but couldn't figure out how to delete the 2 other posts, I tried to contact the webmaster of this site for asvice but nothing work and no I received 2 "You have been warned" emails and I REALLY tried to fix the problem but this site would allow me... I'm sorry, I new to this site so I don't know all the tricks but a "DELETE" link would be nice or a way to contact the webmaster to explain my problem would be nice but that option wasn't there so I was warned twice because of a stupid mistake.
  3. No Profile Picture

Too make things worse, I see now when I post I have 2 warnings levels... Again, SORRY, I made a mistake and tried to fix it and the site wouldn't let me delete the posts, Now I'm marked for life... All I was looking for was a little advise...
  5. Transforming Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You aren't marked for life. I removed one of the warnings because it seems you got the point; the other will go away in a week.

Couple comments:
    1. I don't know which "webmaster" you tried to contact, but that's just not how things work. I don't mean on just this site but in, like, every community-based place on the Internet. The webmasters are the people who keep the site operational - if there's something about the content you're concerned about (like your own) then there are simpler and easier means of contacting the right people. In this case they're moderators. People with red names. Plus Nilpo, if you see him.

2. If you're worried that you posted in the wrong place, good. It shows that you care and simply made a mistake. But don't go posting the same thing in other places. You've posted once in a place that you thought (at the time) was appropriate, which means there's a chance you were right. If not then no harm done: somebody will move your stuff to wherever it should go.

3. Relax.
  7. No Profile Picture

Moderator/Webmaster, same this... Sorry, again I got it wrong again...

The reason for posting it again was because I relized it was in the wrong place and put it in the right place but I could find any way to delete the post in the wrong place and now I have "RED" marks agains my acount and I just started and don;t know all this tricks to use this site... Why no "DELETE" post function.? This would have solved all my problems. Also could find any contact infor to help me remove the post and now I have a "RED" mark on my account for a simple mistake. All I needed is a little help, sorry htis site may be a little too advanced for me but I just can't across a situation that I really need help on and I have 2 Florida state agencies holding me to a date on this and I'm a bit stressed...

Thanks....

Originally Posted by requinix
    You aren't marked for life. I removed one of the warnings because it seems you got the point; the other will go away in a week.

Couple comments:
    1. I don't know which "webmaster" you tried to contact, but that's just not how things work. I don't mean on just this site but in, like, every community-based place on the Internet. The webmasters are the people who keep the site operational - if there's something about the content you're concerned about (like your own) then there are simpler and easier means of contacting the right people. In this case they're moderators. People with red names. Plus Nilpo, if you see him.

2. If you're worried that you posted in the wrong place, good. It shows that you care and simply made a mistake. But don't go posting the same thing in other places. You've posted once in a place that you thought (at the time) was appropriate, which means there's a chance you were right. If not then no harm done: somebody will move your stuff to wherever it should go.

3. Relax.
  9. Sarcky

You can "report" your own post for deletion or to be moved using the red triangle above any post (not just your own). Simply click the triangle, click "wrong forum" from the box, and specify which forum you believe it should be in. A moderator will take care of it.

The forum rules are located in the lounge (the forum you're in now) and the new user guide for the php forum is directly below this sentence.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  11. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

I realize this may seem a bit hollow at this point, but welcome to DevShed Forums, in_titusville.

The reason regular members may not delete their own posts is to prevent members from deleting all of their posts. A regular member is allowed to close a thread that he has started though (however, that might only apply to members who have 30 or more posts).

Many of the senior members here have been members of discussion forums with a setup similar to this one for 10 or more years, so it's difficult for us to think of all of the problems that someone completely unfamiliar with forums like this might encounter.

I have 2 Florida state agencies holding me to a date on this and I'm a bit stressed...
    Ouch. You've gotten in over your head on a project for government agencies?

P.S. Please don't quote the entire previous post, especially when only one person has replied to your thread. If you don't like using the "quick reply" form, you can always remove the quote from the reply page before entering your comment.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  13. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the advice and a link that says "DELETE" post would have made it a lot easier and I fumbbled through this site trying to figure it iur and I REALLY tried and now I'm stuck with "RED" mark branded on my account because a made a "SIMPLE" mistake and tryird as hard as I could to remove it but this site si VERY difficult to navigate... I REALLY did try to do the right thing but now got branded as a bad user for ONLY trying the do the right thing... I thinght I could get help on this site, not get in trouble...

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    You can "report" your own post for deletion or to be moved using the red triangle above any post (not just your own). Simply click the triangle, click "wrong forum" from the box, and specify which forum you believe it should be in. A moderator will take care of it.

The forum rules are located in the lounge (the forum you're in now) and the new user guide for the php forum is directly below this sentence.
  15. Sarcky

P.S. Please don't quote the entire previous post, especially when only one person has replied to your thread. If you don't like using the "quick reply" form, you can always remove the quote from the reply page before entering your comment.
    The reason you got double-warned for the two posts in the same thread is because you posted the same 2-paragraph explanation twice, with 6 extra words at the end the second time. We have access to what was said before you thanks to the mouse wheel. Only quote if you're doing it like this post is, and responding to a specific sentence.

Once again: You may not delete your own posts. Nobody but a moderator can ever delete a post. We recognize that you personally feel it would be a valuable feature, but it will never happen. Ever. This has already been explained.

Your red mark will go away in a week, this is another thing that has already been explained.

On that same vein, the three of us (any anyone with their name in red) are not in charge of the site, we do not get paid, and we have no input on how the site operates.

What part of the site's navigation is confusing? What were you looking for, and why could you not find it?

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  17. Sarcky

Requinix tells me this might not be true for some users. I certainly cannot report my own posts, but that might be because I'm a moderator. If you need to have a thread moved or deleted, you can simply say so in the thread itself.

19. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the welcome, even though it was a tough way to get it...

The 2 Florida govenrment agenices would be nice if it was work but I have medical problems and I'm on the Florida Department of Education, Vocational Rehabilitation program and working with Disibility Right Florida and both have told me I'm "unemployable" (BS term if I ever heard it. So I'm on a mission to prove I can work, in th past I've bult several multi-million dollar sites and helped to create Publcaly traded interenet company and I as VP of Product Development. The site i'm working on now is to compete with Ebay.co, Beezid.com and Quibids.com (call me crazy) but I'm trying to prove I'm employable and I'm almost there just need a little help with some of the odd features I want to add to me site and that's why I'm asking for help on "THIS" site. So, any help anyone could give me on this would be GREATLY appreciated...

Originally Posted by Kravvitz
    I realize this may seem a bit hollow at this point, but welcome to DevShed Forums, in_titusville.

The reason regular members may not delete their own posts is to prevent members from deleting all of their posts. A regular member is allowed to close a thread that he has started though (however, that might only apply to members who have 30 or more posts).

Many of the senior members here have been members of discussion forums with a setup similar to this one for 10 or more years, so it's difficult for us to think of all of the problems that someone completely unfamiliar with forums like this might encounter.

Ouch. You've gotten in over your head on a project for government agencies?

21. No Profile Picture

I noticed my post was moved but now it doesn't show how many people have looked at it or if there were any replis to the post... (Kind-of useless, isn't it)...

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    Requinix tells me this might not be true for some users. I certainly cannot report my own posts, but that might be because I'm a moderator. If you need to have a thread moved or deleted, you can simply say so in the thread itself.
  23. No Profile Picture

One more thing... I tried to post a pcture that would help explain my problem and tried to use you "imsert image" and "insert hyperlink" and the site rejected both... so I just posted a location on my server with the example.... what's the deal there.?.?
  25. Transforming Moderator

Originally Posted by in_titusville
    I noticed my post was moved but now it doesn't show how many people have looked at it or if there were any replis to the post...
    It was moved to JavaScript. Did you look in JavaScript? 0 replies, ~60 views.

Originally Posted by in_titusville
    One more thing... I tried to post a pcture that would help explain my problem and tried to use you "imsert image" and "insert hyperlink" and the site rejected both... so I just posted a location on my server with the example.... what's the deal there.?.?
    It's there to combat spammers who try to use links and images to peddle their wares. Until you reach some threshold (I think 30 days and 30 posts) just post incomplete URLs like you've already done.
  27. No Profile Picture

I thought my post was moved to the "HTML" since it was a IFRAME question and had nothing to do with javescript, so why was it moved to "javascript" if it's a IFRAME question... I don't get it...

Originally Posted by requinix
    It was moved to JavaScript. Did you look in JavaScript? 0 replies, ~60 views.

It's there to combat spammers who try to use links and images to peddle their wares. Until you reach some threshold (I think 30 days and 30 posts) just post incomplete URLs like you've already done.
  29. Transforming Moderator

I didn't move it, but I assume it was moved because of the "automatically" requirement: you more-or-less have to use JavaScript to do it.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo