1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hologram as a new display

Hello all,

I'd like to share with you my article about hologram theme.
    It is on my blog robotintelligence dot wordpress dot com

I have a passion to create amazing future with beautiful technologies. Let's discuss it and create future together

Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Thanks, Dmitry.

"Hologram as a new display 1

It’s natural that everything is changing, growing, developing. Human are going to techno-sphere society and as a result new technologies are coming. There was black&white displays that had impression of people. To know, that something moving in display (films, animations) was very exited for people. After that was created colored display -> colored display with high quality and now when people are watching movies on their LED displays, they feel presents of digital world in the ‘reality’.

What is the next? Obviously, the future is hologram as a new display. It will have wonderful feeling when watch digital video using colored hologram. The first step is to create holograms as additional feature for mobile devices: maps, games, video calls. Let’s imagine, that you take your iPhone/iPad/Android device and open map application (using standard screen touches) in hologram mode. An application opens as a hologram with structured map an about 3-5 centimeters from the device. User can interact (it’s will be more complicated then just hologram used in video calls – to see your phone partner) with this map and change position of the map in hologram. User can rotate some shapes. The next step is interacting with hologram using gestures, touches, even blast can interact.

This kind of future is already here. You just should to realize it. People like nature and they should live in harmony with nature. However, people need to create something to grow their souls and one of the possibility to create is via technologies.

Dmitry Vodianyk"
  3. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Perhaps someday.

Q. Do you understand the optical physics involved in holography?

Stereoscopic 3D (a technology actually about as old as photography itself - arguably even older than photography) is already here in consumer devices, but a true 3D hologram may have a ways to go.
    Last edited by medialint; November 21st, 2011 at 02:05 PM.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  5. No Profile Picture

Creating this technology have much details, but if something appeared in people mind then it will be created, not matter how it is difficult. There are no any creating without idea.
    So, let's discuss. To produce the domino principle. I know that 2D holograms is possible to create right now, but there are some market decisions that we should understand.
    Here is example:
    Laptop can't exists without personal computer.
    Hologram can't be created before great displays. 2D hologram -> 3D hologram. The history go consequentially.

Thanks, Dmitry.
  7. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I was thinking that, harder than actually replicating a hologram "display" the bigger difficulty is in capturing the 3D information on a consumer device.

In college physics we created a traditional laser hologram which was captured on glass with lasers and mirrors. To reproduce the image you basically reversed everything and you got a hologram you could walk around and view from all sides in 3D. It was over 20 years ago, so I don't remember the painful mathematical details very well (see wikipedia for such) but I do know it is a hell of a lot more complex than a stereoscopic image which only requires a standard camera with two lenses (or even two cameras taped together).

I also don't see a great gain or advantage of a true hologram over a stereoscopic 3D image, the latter of which is at the stage where there's really no reason why you couldn't have something like a video chat in real time, in full color using technology like the Nintendo 3DS screen. I think that will come very soon. True holograms in the mainstream though, no one I am aware of are doing much to advance this specifically as a consumer technology and I believe the logistics of doing so will continue to be prohibitive for quite some time to come. In short, we're a long ways away from anything approaching a true holographic display.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  9. No Profile Picture

Mobile devices contentiously are becoming more and more powerful. New CPUs, new faster memory, more 'economic' battery. Why do you think we should worry about computation problem? Financial aspect is more worrying here. How much will cost this device (with laser, 'micro-mirrors', powerful CPU)?
    I think approach with cameras and lenses is not acceptable for mobile devices. Right now, the problem is that company that produce mobile devices will not able to start researching/producing devices with hologram technology, because this will cost a money. But if some plant that produce hologram devices (just for hologram, for example: for attaching with device into labtop or desctop or into mobile device) will appear, then there will be big chance, that biggest mobile devices producer will buy this plant.
    So, here we are: economic + laziness of people.

Thanks, Dmitry.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo