1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hiding my IP address / location

Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me with an issue. I need to be able to hide my IP address and location. I want to know if it's possible to hide the location completely because I have tried some extensions on Google Chrome, but when I check my IP it always says a different country. Optimally I would like it to look like I am using my computer from Denmark, but it seems that there aren't so many web proxies here, so I would be satisfied if I could just keep any location from showing up. Is that possible?

About these web proxies... I really don't know anything about how it works, but because there doesn't seem to be that many from Denmark and I've heard they are not secure, I want to know if there are other ways. I know I could set one up on a friend's computer, but I don't know yet if any of them are willing to do it for me and I don't know if it is hard to do or how to do it at all. Can someone explain this to me or point me to a good guide somewhere?

3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Your IP address is always visible, otherwise there would be no way for you to retrieve any information. In the very basic sense, the IP network works like the mail. You send a packet with an address on in for devshed that says "dear devshed, please show me thread 2716196." Devshed's servers receive your packet and write a packet for you that says "dear FRUGiHOYi, here is that thread."

Now, without a return address on your "envelope," devshed wouldn't know how to send it to you.

A proxy works like a PO box in this already-torture analogy. Instead of your own address, you put the address of a postal or package service building, and you go get your packages from them, concealing your address from the senders.

Free proxies are unreliable and insecure. You can set up a VPN proxy on a friend's machine or on a rented server to conceal your address. Actual instructions for a VPN/proxy are easy to locate now that you know what you're looking for.

-Dan
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    Your IP address is always visible, otherwise there would be no way for you to retrieve any information. In the very basic sense, the IP network works like the mail. You send a packet with an address on in for devshed that says "dear devshed, please show me thread 2716196." Devshed's servers receive your packet and write a packet for you that says "dear FRUGiHOYi, here is that thread."

Now, without a return address on your "envelope," devshed wouldn't know how to send it to you.

A proxy works like a PO box in this already-torture analogy. Instead of your own address, you put the address of a postal or package service building, and you go get your packages from them, concealing your address from the senders.

Free proxies are unreliable and insecure. You can set up a VPN proxy on a friend's machine or on a rented server to conceal your address. Actual instructions for a VPN/proxy are easy to locate now that you know what you're looking for.

-Dan
    Thanks. I have actually been doing some research on the matter since I posted and I think I'm going to register for a paid VPN service.
  7. Sarcky

Is there any particular reason you want to hide your IP so badly? Generally it's only to do something illegal.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Curiosity killed the cat...
  11. Sarcky

There are two ways to interpret that, one would be a threat against me for asking. For your sake, I'm assuming the second.

13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Don't worry, it was the second, unless you're a cat
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

if you want to fully hide your identity, then a non-free vpn would be the answer,

personally, i would get a small VPS with linux/debian , and setup on it tinyproxy ,

you can also change in tiny proxy config the setting that make it possible for sites to know that you are browsing using a proxy

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo