1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question E-Commerce Development Project

Hi,

We have a fashion e-commerce website to develop. After IA and graphic design work were completed in-house, we tried to outsource the development portion overseas to no avail. (Two times, we got stuck with sleazy hustler types.) Having wasted a lot of time already, now we are left with an option of increasing our budget, and finding someone here in the New York City, or at least in the country. We have all the PSDs, and detailed point-by-point instructions plus IA-related documents like process flow. We need someone (or a couple of partners) to finish front- AND back-end, ideally by next spring.

I have a few questions as to finding someone:

1) What jobsites would be good for posting an ad?
    2) Are agencies worth it when we can screen in and out candidates? 40% commission sounds way too hefty...
    3) What would be a ballpark figure and timeline? The site is fairly high-end. We have 56 PSDs, and some of them have layer overlays. We would need a good jQuery person, especially.
    4) If it's off-site, what would be a good way to monitor the time being charged?
    5) The last guys started this in Magento although they didn't make much progress beyond their template. Would it make sense to find another Magento person, and finish it, or to be more open about the platform in case someone can get it done even quicker?

Feedbacks would be appreciated it.
  3. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I'll offer a couple of suggestions for this.

First, stick with Magento. it will be harder to develop for when the coders don't know what they are doing, but when it's someone that knows and understands it, most things can be done.

Secondly, be prepared to be a bit flexible on your requirements. with that many layouts and what seems like a huge amount of customisation and extra "special" functionality that you want added, some (if not a whole lot) of it will take longer to produce then what the cost is worth. I've done a couple of jobs where people have come to me with ideas that were just over the top, and when I explained that by removing some of the nice things that actually didn't add much they'd end up saving about 40-50% they were pretty shocked.

Thirdly, forget the out-sourcing and hiring overseas developers. Go somewhere that's either local or in the same country, and make sure that it's a reputable development firm - not a single person or a rent-a-coder - that has a documented history of working with Magento. This will cost more, but the job will get done and it will get done right. You've already seen where trying to cut corners gets you and as most of us here will agree it sure aint cheap or pretty.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I'm looking into hiring maybe 2 people, one for JavaScript, especially for jQuery, and the other for the backend, but on-site, so that not only do I have a control of what they do, but also still cheaper than going to a company and pay for their overhead. No? I'll stand corrected...
  7. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Hiring two people will be cheaper. It will also mean that it's you that has to manage everything, check the level of their work, check that they are actually working, check that they are working together, monitor the issues that come up and pretty much hold their hands through everything that you want done. If you're happy to do the project management like that then go for it. The biggest advantage to using a company as opposed to sub-contractors is that you are having someone else deal with all of that. In some cases it can be worth the extra money. Some, not all.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo