1. Put a potato on it!
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Strange problem with IIS 6

Posting here because problem actually fixed itself a couple of days ago, but I'm very curious about it. I was helping a friend out with a site that was hosted on IIS 6 that wouldn't resolve when you went to http://domain.com - it just spat out a 404 error.

But if you went to http://domain.com/index.html it resolved fine. The host headers in IIS were setup correctly, we tried going through anonymouse.org and got the same results. The event viewer didn't log anything for it and even restarting IIS didn't work.

Then out of nowhere it started resolving again, so we couldn't figure out what was going on. Has anyone seen this with IIS 6 or have any ideas?
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

It sounds like you lost index.html as a default document. In a default install of IIS6 index.html won't be a default document, you need to add it in the IIS manager.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. Put a potato on it!
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Doug G
    It sounds like you lost index.html as a default document. In a default install of IIS6 index.html won't be a default document, you need to add it in the IIS manager.
    I should have mentioned that index.html was set as a default document, I can't remember if it was the first in the list or not, I didn't think the order made a difference more than telling IIS which file to try first, second, third etc.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo