1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How do I handle the pending death of a family member that should be important to me b

Just found out my dad's mom has stage 4 cancer... How do I handle this? My dad will be changed. He talks little of his family... this will be very different . it will change many things. she's going to die soon

No one has ever died on me before not this close (even though it is still distant). I'm not close to a lot of people, and my grandmother (by normality) should be closer than what she is.

my main concern is to be there for my dad. but how?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

by being there for him. it's a total cliche. you listen adn you him no you care even if you didn't. the end. like i said, it's a total cliche whether you like it or not. i dont no if you and your dad are close but to me, my rule is that the amount of sorrow you feel towards someone's misfortune is directly proportional to the amount of feelings you have for said someone.
    Good luck.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hrm. He likes fishing. do you think I could take him out for that when we head out over there?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Sure. You can do all sorts of things with him or for him. Don't hover. Just be there when needed. Your dad is going to feel all kinds of good when receiving some attention and care from the people that he loves BUT despite that, he's still going to want some time alone. There will be times when w/e gesture is made towards him won't mean much to him he just wants to be left alone. The idea is not to let him be alone all the time. It's like tailing a car. You don't want to be close and so obvious but you also don't want it to have far away and loose it. So you increase/decrease your speed accordingly.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo