1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Which language would you use for this project?

Greetings and salutations,
    Yahoo messenger has a SCRIBBLERS plugin which I believe can be found in the list generated when you press the ACTIVITIES button on a chat window. The users are able to see, IN REAL TIME (maybe 1-2 seconds delay?), what each of them is drawing on the same whiteboard.

What I'd like to do is to slightly expand that. The users can watch each other write/draw on the same whiteboard. Or I can have my whiteboard on one side of the screen and his canvas on the other side and we can see what the other is drawing. Regardless, the main objective is real time monitoring. So we need an internet connection.

So, which language would you recommend I use for this application? Should it be something I can code for a browser like PHP (assuming they have a paint module) or maybe .NET such that the application can be launched on the desktop and the connection is made in the background? Or perhaps you can direct me towards a number of links where I can make my own comparisons and understand why language X would be the way to go. Or maybe there are a few more things I needed to mention before you're able to give me your opinion.
    Last edited by wildheart25c; January 16th, 2012 at 11:08 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I've decided to go with wring a standalone application instead of a web application.
    So now I'm torn between the typical languages we use for building programs like java and c++ for example.
    I've been doing some reading and I can't seem to decide. On the one hand I'd stick to the language im comfortable with but since I have no deadline or responsiblity towards this project, I'd like to try somthing new and learn.
    Do you have any recommendations for me?
    There are two important parts. Communication and drawing. I need a server where user1's program will constantly be checking with it to see if there is new information from user2's program regarding his drawing. The language I'm going to use must make my life easy when it comes to building the drawing part of the program.
    Any suggestions? I'll glady accept links for reading so that I can do the comparisons myself.
  5. No Profile Picture

I'm using php programming for creating online projects...because it's too easy & want to learn something new like druple, .net etc..

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo