1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Social Network ideas?

Does anyone think Facebook needs to add something?
    Does anyone think someone needs to invent a new kind of social network?

I'm developing my own social network. I want to make sure to include things people need/want.

I know one issue I have is getting relevant content from my streams. There is some stuff I just don't care about.

SEOT: L3TJVV5G3FZSsbPX3CzJ
  3. Put a potato on it!

If I was designing a social network I'd design a "gag" function that would allow me to stop seeing whatever updates other people were making constantly. Then again that goes against the idea of a social network.

Here's my take on the current networks I know of/use:

Facebook: buggy. From my experience, they tend to break their existing codebase when making updates and ignore bug reports. That and their privacy policies change and are difficult to pin down

Google +: I really like this platform, despite its small following. I like the idea of circles: it makes it easier to keep posts private when you want to. There is some difficulty I've heard trying to find things like sending messages and something like "events" in FB would be a good addition I think.

Twitter: I really don't use twitter, so I can't comment aside from their servers getting overloaded, which may have been fixed up by now.

Linked In: I can't really tell what this site wants to be: Monster/a message board/Facebook/MySpace? I think it's easier to make connections on a board like Devshed or even through IRC than it is on this site.

Just my two cents, good luck with the project!
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
  5. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Facebook: buggy. From my experience, they tend to break their existing codebase when making updates and ignore bug reports
    I've spent far more time using Facebook's API than its user interface... and the API is exactly the same way. They break **** left and right, don't publicly acknowledge that it's broken, and then take forever to fix it; or they decide to deprecate something before they have a replacement ready. Apparently whoever is in charge of their API doesn't know **** about how APIs are supposed to work.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  7. Put a potato on it!

Yeah I helped write a few FB applications when they were using their RESTful API and every Tuesday was a new and horrendous surprise. What's worse is that they're forums which were made to help developers were often ignored and left to stagnate. I can remember when they decided to do away with the older notifications...that was unpleasant to redo.

As it is with the front-end interface, I usually get lost trying to find whatever I'm trying to do, but that's more because I log on a few times a week and probably miss whatever new things are being rolled out.

Another thing with FB that I'm glad they finally changed was their constant email notifications. I'm glad my inbox is no longer full of "so-and-so posted such-and-such!" anymore.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
  9. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The biggest problem you have with creating a social network is that most people already joined one (probably Facebook), don't really want to join another one, if they do join another one they have to convince all their "friends" to join as well, and many of the people that did join facebook stopped caring about it after the first few weeks.

Thus you need to worry more about the "social" than the "network".

I've gotten dozens of linked-in requests I've ignored. I established a twitter account for the sole purpose of blocking off my name and now I only see some "single college girl looking for fun" decides to "follow me" now and then. whatever ... Google+ came on my radar, then left on the other side of the screen with a single blip. I think the world is pretty socially networked out right now. Yet still there's a million people trying to improve on the concept. It's like selling sunscreen in London.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  11. Lounge Troll
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Originally Posted by medialint
    I've gotten dozens of linked-in requests I've ignored.
    I like separating my Facebook and Linked-In networks. For Facebook it's more then mere acquaintances. I have my profile picture of me in a suit and tie and really don' have much information on it but I do occasionally post things that I'd want to separate from my professional life (such as who I support politically). For Linked-In I use it for people I meet at say High Tech Happy Hour in Madison, WI and use it solely for my professional front. Each network has their own strengths and weaknesses.
    Codeinated

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo