1. A Change of Season
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

What is a good video compressor software?

Hello;

I use Quicktime in order to get screen recordings. The files are pretty big. For example a 3 min .mov file is 20 mb.

I tried imovie to compress but it damages the quality (even before compression).

What is a good software for mac that compresses the vidoes without loosing their quality?

Thanks
  3. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

None.

It's not possible to compress a normal video file without loosing either quality or resolution. It's the good ol' triangle... There's three options: Small file, High resolution, Good quality. You can only ever choose two.

Quicktime is pretty good for things like that so if you can't make it work at least a little bit with that, you won't have much luck with other software either. file size can also depend on the format that you are saving the file as, so experiment with a few and see if they are slaerr or larger file sizes.
  5. A Change of Season

Originally Posted by Catacaustic
    None.

It's not possible to compress a normal video file without loosing either quality or resolution. It's the good ol' triangle... There's three options: Small file, High resolution, Good quality. You can only ever choose two.

Quicktime is pretty good for things like that so if you can't make it work at least a little bit with that, you won't have much luck with other software either. file size can also depend on the format that you are saving the file as, so experiment with a few and see if they are slaerr or larger file sizes.
    Ok. This is one of the videos.

Do you think its a bit too large for what it is?
  7. Code Monkey V. 0.9

It doesn't look to bad from here. We do have a decent (in Australia anyway...) internet connection here, so it loaded in a reasonable amount of time. I can't see the file size anywhere, so that part of it is hard to say. As for the actual dimensions of the video, it's not to bad, but with screencasts, it's always hard to make out much when they aren't at close to full resolution.
  9. A Change of Season

It doesn't look to bad from here. We do have a decent (in Australia anyway...) internet connection here, so it loaded in a reasonable amount of time. I can't see the file size anywhere, so that part of it is hard to say. As for the actual dimensions of the video, it's not to bad, but with screencasts, it's always hard to make out much when they aren't at close to full resolution.
    Hey Cata, I was more concerned about the data transfer limit on my hosting (Quadrahosting).

Have a look at this. If I dont have to worry about the data transfer then I really don't care about the file size.

Thanks
  11. Code Monkey V. 0.9

It's not bad, but I have the same issue/s with that that I have with any other "unlimited" hosting plan. There's never such a thing as "unlimited hosting" If there was, I'm sure that Google, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and more would have signed up for it ages ago.

In reality it is monitored and checked. If you use to many resources, you are either "gently" requested to upgrade to a different (and more expensive) service, or your site is just shut down. This depends on the hosting company and their own internal policies.

Also note that to keep plans like that affordable, there needs to be a fair few of them run off the same server, and that can degrade the performance that you need for video hosting and streaming, either through CPU use or data transfer bottle necks.

If you are worried about paying for data transfer, then make the videos smaller. There's really no other options there. However I would suggest that you try out a hosting service and see just how much traffic you are getting and how much data transfer that you are using. That will tell you very quickly if you need to upgrade to something else. By that time you should have your site sorted out to be returning enough revenue to pay for the upgrade.

Comments on this post

• fishtoprecords agrees
  13. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Squeeze 5 pro and Blaze media pro are sometime in my use. Hence, i think that these are best software for compression of the videos without loosing their quality.
  15. No Profile Picture

Any format that compresses video will result in quality loss, but if you keep the quality settings set to the highest you should not be able to notice it.
  17. No Profile Picture

You can try using video converter from xilisoft.
  19. Contributing User

There's never such a thing as "unlimited hosting" If there was, I'm sure that Google, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and more would have signed up for it ages ago.
    This is so true. I really wish that the hosting sites would stop using that phrase. Sure, there is no limit, you can transfer as many bits as you want, but there is a real cost.

If you look at the high end services, co-lo centers, etc. the ones that provide fiber-optic cable to your rack of servers, you will see that even there, there is a price for each byte you transfer. Its usually measured in gigabytes per month, or terabytes per month, but there is always a cost based on volume.

The only way to get past it is to have a "peering" agreement with another transcontinental and transnational network. Which means you are a peer, and you have a ton of long distance fiber network of your own, along with the terabyte switches that go with them.

This is what Google, Yahoo!, Amazon, Facebook, etc. do. Its easy, all you need are hundreds of engineers and millions of dollars per month.
  21. No Profile Picture

As I know you can use Total Video Converter, itís a great app, not sure if its free but i find it to be the best compression app.
  23. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by zxcvbnm
    Hello;

I use Quicktime in order to get screen recordings. The files are pretty big. For example a 3 min .mov file is 20 mb.

I tried imovie to compress but it damages the quality (even before compression).

What is a good software for mac that compresses the vidoes without loosing their quality?

Thanks
    Besides acting as a professional total video converter, Bigasoft Total Video Converter is also a powerful video compressor which can fast and easily compress all popular video to a smaller file size with high output video and audio quality. It can not only compress video to remain the same output video format, but also compress video to get a different output video format.

This powerful Video Compressor supports compress video in whatever video formats like compress AVI, compress MP4, compress MPEG, compress MKV, compress MOV, compress FLV, compress WMV, compress VOB, compress AVCHD, compress 1080p, compress MPEG2 and etc.

Just google search Step by Step Guide on How to Compress Video AVI, MP4, MPEG, MKV, WMV, MOV, FLV, VOB

You will find a nice one

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo