Thread: SVN question

1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

SVN question

Where should I ask a question about SVN?

I have a repository set up like this:

Root repository:
    project1
    projectN

Inside each project is just source code, no structure at all.

I now want to set it up something like this:
    trunk/projectN
    branch/release/projectN
    branch/rc/projectN
    tag/developer/projectN

/trunk is where the most recent build-able code is. Most check-ins - if any - are not performed here.
    /branch/release is for final tested releases. This will be branched off from rc.
    /branch/rc is for release candidates and testing. This will be branched off from trunk
    /tag/developer is a sort of shelf that a developer can make frequent check ins to. Once a "feature" has been completed this will then be merged into trunk. This will be where the bleeding edge possibly broken code will reside.

What would be the easiest way to backup and restore the code into /trunk from / without too much difficulty? Should I create two repositories and move the code from one repository after restoring the dump and then move it over to /trunk in the other structured repository and allow the other branches and tags become populated through normal procedure? Tags would be where 100% of all checkins should be. Trunk should only ever change when a feature is completed.

Does anyone have a better way of going about this? We're trying to avoid checking out broken code and losing development due to a dead drive. Daily check-ins would also allow us to more easily back up current code. Check ins could also be scheduled to perform before backup.
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Last edited by WrinkledCheese; September 18th, 2012 at 03:12 PM. Reason: linkify URL

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo