1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

The blast from the past...

Recently I've decided a change in college majors is probably in order. I was planning on majoring in Actuarial Science but I don't want to be taking exams for 5-10 years after college all for the sake of a six figure salary. My back up choice is Computer Science and I was looking through my old books and resources and I came across this website.

Over six years ago as a junior in high school I tried to learn Java or Python and I didn't end up sticking with it because I was unmotivated. Here I am now as a 23 year old college student going right back to learning Python.

Very interesting reading what the 16 year old version of yourself was thinking/doing. That's all.

This time I need to stick with it or go become a basket weaving major.
  3. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The sixteen year old version of myself (in 1984 mind you) was doing some illegal things now and then and writing video games on the original IBM PC. I wanted to pursue a career in video game development. While everyone recognized I was pretty sharp with computers they also realized that video games were a fad and there was no future in pursuing that avenue. So today I am lucky to be a programmer for the HR IT department of a huge diversified financial services company. On the plus side my car is paid for, my son is clothed and fed and I have enough discretionary spending to buy (instead of write) video games.

The biggest mistake you can make is to choose a career for money. It should at least be something you somewhat like. I loved programming, I just wanted with all my heart to avoid the very job I ended up in. It's not bad, actually it's pretty good, but it's not my life's calling. Know what I mean?
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  5. No Profile Picture

Yeah I hear ya man. I don't want to do that with CS either, so for the next few months I'm going to be testing the waters to see if this is something I can get in to. Always loved computers and the tech world so programming seemed the most natural for me. We'll see what happens.
  7. Lounge Troll
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Pretty much doing what I do now. I thought I'd be more on the networking side of things but I guess I'm living the dream as a Sys Admin.
    Codeinated
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by medialint
    The sixteen year old version of myself (in 1984 mind you) was doing some illegal things now and then and writing video games on the original IBM PC. I wanted to pursue a career in video game development. While everyone recognized I was pretty sharp with computers they also realized that video games were a fad and there was no future in pursuing that avenue. So today I am lucky to be a programmer for the HR IT department of a huge diversified financial services company. On the plus side my car is paid for, my son is clothed and fed and I have enough discretionary spending to buy (instead of write) video games.

The biggest mistake you can make is to choose a career for money. It should at least be something you somewhat like. I loved programming, I just wanted with all my heart to avoid the very job I ended up in. It's not bad, actually it's pretty good, but it's not my life's calling. Know what I mean?
    I completely agree with you medialint, one should only do the work he is interested in, otherwise it will all end up in mess, frustration and uncomfortable, and if a man follows his heart and just does a thing he likes, he will enjoy every bit of it because he has a power of love towards the thing he is doing, and this will help him to create new wonders.

Comments on this post

• Scorpions4ever disagrees : What does this thread have to do with "Affordable IT Outsourcing" and why is it the subject of your reply? PM me a reasonable answer.
    Last edited by Scorpions4ever; August 8th, 2013 at 04:47 PM.
  11. Contributing User

I am 48+ now, and started life off as a WAN Wide Area Network Tech, then became a Oracle DBA. I have worked in Beta Test shops over the past 18+ yrs and Linux/Unix/Solaris OS systems. So now in my career I am a Systems Architect, DBA, Project Manager. For databases most of my experience is in Oracle, followed by PostgreSQL, then SQL server 2005, and MySQL. I have also picked up alot of knowledge and experience with Virtualization as well too. I guess one might say I am a cross between a Sys Admin, DBA, Network Tech...with Project Management thrown in. It also has helped that I have worked in Beta Test on the Bleeding Edge for so long as I have had to learn many skill sets that were not really my own to do my job.

So my advice is to obtain as much learning in anything that you enjoy and are good at and keep going with it. Never stop learn and keep growing to increase your overall skill set and abilities. Makes you much more marketable and well rounded skill set.
  13. 'fie' on me, allege-dly
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Broad palette and a willingness to learn, with a side of motivation is what I try to get from CV's - ymmv
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo