1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Looking for good Geocoding service options - help appreciated.

I'm working on a project that will require a fair number of addresses to be geocoded. I'm trying to figure out a good service to use for this; any assistance would be appreciated.

I've looked at Google Maps and Geocoder.us, but I'm not sure I can use either of them - the project is commercial, which I believe lets out Google, and Geocoder.us failed to deliver the correct location for our own office when the street address was put into their site's API - the location it actually came up with is several miles away. For the purposes of this project, that isn't acceptable.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for a place to start looking?
  3. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Googles mapping and geocoding API can be used commercially - but you have to pay for it. That would be a standard deal with all of the services that I've seen, and it's only fair. If you're going to make money from it, you should be prepared to pay for it. The up side of this is that you can do a lot more with their commercial version (at least as far as requests go).

So far the Google API is the only one that I've used, mainly because it's simple and people recognise it.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo