1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

From stand-alone game to online-multiplayer

Sorry if this is the wrong place for my questions. I'm a brand new member and this is my first post.

I have been developing and selling stand-alone games for Windows for many years. Now, I would like to put one (or more) of my games online, so that people can log in and play other people from around the world.

The games are written in C using National Instruments CVI environment (if that's relevant). I have a website (Amuseware) which is hosted by IDCSoft.

Okay. The first question is: can I use my existing C code or do I need to learn another language?

2. Would the game exist on the (IDCSoft) server and people would download a client application?

3. Is the "game room" a separate application? And do I write that or buy it?

4. Are there tools out there designed for what I want to accomplish?

Thanks so much for your help.
  3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

1) C is fine.

2&3) Up to you, this is all custom work and you'll probably have to re-write the games from scratch, aside from the assets and the rendering engine(s)

4) No.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks, ManiacDan. It looks like I'll have to do it myself.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo