Thread: Go Vote

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Go Vote

American DevShed members, today is voting day. If you haven't voted already, GO VOTE
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I live in New Jersey and on the average it took folks about 2.5 minutes to vote each. That says to me folks are not just voting party lines, but instead voting for people and reading the causes too.

It is sad in the US that it is the Electoral college that elects the President, and not the Popular Vote. A person could win the Popular Vote, but not win the Electoral college 270 votes and not become the next President. Oh well tiss the way the system works.
  5. Sarcky

It is sad in the US that it is the Electoral college that elects the President, and not the Popular Vote. A person could win the Popular Vote, but not win the Electoral college 270 votes and not become the next President. Oh well tiss the way the system works.
    That's happened a number of times before. The United States is not a democracy, it's a constitutional republic. Democracies determine leaders based on popular vote. Republics do not.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  7. Contributing User

Well actually the US is a Representative Democracy and a Republic. We the people elect representitives to make decisions or laws. Now they are supposed to do what the People want, but far too often they follow the greed and money to sway their votes.
  9. I <3 ASCII
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Voted after the last debates. Yay in person early voting.

-MBirchmeier
  11. Sarcky

Originally Posted by MBirchmeier
    Voted after the last debates. Yay in person early voting.

-MBirchmeier
    What state do you live in? I couldn't vote until this morning. Had to go twice, too, because they refused to let me vote without a current driver's license.

13. Type Cast Exception

I vote at the botanical garden center in Lake Merritt park so voting is a pretty zen like experience for me these days.

There were a lot of things to vote for. It took me a good five minutes just to draw all my lines.
    Attached Images
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  15. Contributing User

I wish there was a option of None Of the Above...
  17. Sarcky

Nice job 'lint. Here in PA there were only 7 things to vote for. I voted nearly party line. Getting into the booth took 20 minutes because the poll workers were trying to (illegally) require IDs, but once I was in it took 20 seconds.

I voted on the medium-aged big mechanical board with the red lights. Last presidential election I voted in Texas with the big touch screen machines. It felt like going back in time when I moved up to PA.

19. I <3 ASCII

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    What state do you live in? I couldn't vote until this morning. Had to go twice, too, because they refused to let me vote without a current driver's license.
    The only state that seems to matter this year, at least for the presidential race.

-MBirchmeier
  21. Sarcky

I'm guessing Ohio, the state with more than a 50% chance of being the only state that matters.

23. I <3 ASCII

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    I'm guessing Ohio, the state with more than a 50% chance of being the only state that matters.
    Indeed... half the tv ads, 95% during newscasts, 1/3 - 1/2 on hulu are political ads.

Between my wife and I we've been getting probably 3 or 4 pieces of political mail a day.

Basically the only way to deal with it is whenever someone calls, mails, or phones is to find out who they support and tell them you support the opposite.

-MBirchmeier
  25. Sarcky

4 different people supporting one of the candidates for state rep came to my door during my daughter's nap. I ended up putting horns and a beard on his picture from one of their fliers and sticking it in my door frame.

27. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

I wish there was a option of None Of the Above...
    There are two options for none of the above; leave it blank or write in a name.

Yesterday I ended up just shutting off my phone completely to shut them up. I live in a gated community inside a locked building, so thankfully I literally never get people going door to door.

Took me 45m to vote, most of which was spent standing in line waiting to get my ballot.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  29. Type Cast Exception

We had the option of voting for Roseanne Barr for president ... of course there's also a few other legitimate candidates besides Romney and Obama.

The hardest decision for me was the GMO labeling Prop 37 which while I think GMO labeling is a good idea I was not convinced that this particular proposition went about it in the right way.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo