1. 'fie' on me, allege-dly
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Too close to call

Ymmv, interesting from afar ....
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  3. Banned ;)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    "Too close to call" is only for those so-called "analyst" types who work for news stations and want to convince the viewers that they know what they're talking about.

I told my co-workers that I'd rather go with what the bookmakers are offering. After all, unlike the TV pundits, these guys will lose money big time if they calculate wrongly. So far they've been right on the money. They all predicted that it was never a "tight race" as far as the electoral college was concerned (Heck, bookmakers were calling 85-15 odds on Obama this morning and it increased to something like 90-10 on Betfair a few hours later). It was the media that kept calling it a tight race, they have their own agenda: i.e. sell advertising to as many eyeballs as possible.

Comments on this post

• salem agrees : "too close to call" == "please keep watching us, and our advertisers giving us money"
    Last edited by Scorpions4ever; November 7th, 2012 at 04:09 AM.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  5. Sarcky

"Too close to call" is only for those so-called "analyst" types who work for news stations and want to convince the viewers that they know what they're talking about.
    Agreed. Silver called the election a week before, and the TV pundits kept making a big deal out of the election. "WE HAVE TO INTERRUPT YOU, I'M SORRY, VERMONT WENT TO OBAMA." No kidding guys, Vermont's been a blue state since the triassic.

The minute Comedy Central's coverage started, I switched to them, but Ohio was called 15 minutes into it.

(Heck, bookmakers were calling 85-15 odds on Obama this morning and it increased to something like 90-10 on Betfair a few hours later).
    Nate Silver did 89-11 Obama the day before, and 92-8 the day of for electoral college votes.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  7. Lord of Dorkness

Central New York. Texan via Arizona, out of his element!
    Haven't been in here in a while, but I'm calling Obama, 100-0.
    Functionality rules and clarity matters; if you can work a little elegance in there, you're stylin'.
    If you can't spell "u", "ur", and "ne1", why would I hire you? 300 baud modem? Forget I mentioned it.
    DaWei on Pointers Politically Incorrect.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Cool

Originally Posted by DaWei_M
    Haven't been in here in a while, but I'm calling Obama, 100-0.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo