1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question on application version

Hi,

We're migrating our Java app from Websphere 6 to 7. No changes on functionality and no added features. If our current web application version is 2, should we update it to version 3 or just 2.1?

Thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Lounge => Java Help
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture

My question is on versioning, not necessarily Java.

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    Lounge => Java Help
  7. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Lounge <= Java Help

Every software vendor makes up their own rules for version numbers. Whether you should jump to 3 or 2.1 depends on what you've done historically and what your users expect.

My vote would be 2.1, but TBH you may as well flip a coin for all the meaning it has.

For example, consider Firefox. In 10 years, Firefox has gone through 20 major version numbers. However, 16 of those versions have been released in the past 2 years. The first three versions, each major version brought significant new changes. In the next 17, each version brought extremely minor changes.

Or consider the OpenSSL library, which is currently on version 1.0 after 15 years.

Microsoft just released Windows 8, which is the successor to Windows 7. However, the "7" in Windows 7 is just an arbitrary numerical choice. Windows 7 is actually the 10th major version of Windows (depending on who's counting), because Microsoft decided not to count versions 1, 2 or 3 when coming up with the version number for 7. Windows 8 and Windows 7 are, for most practical purposes, the same; whereas Windows XP and Windows Vista (technically 5 and 6 I guess) are massively different from each other.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks for your inputs.

Your example on Firefox and Windows are totally different cases because those are with fixes and new features. We're updating the app for WAS 7. No fixes and no additional features due to time, resource and budget constraints. I'll use 2.1.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo