1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Good gloves to coding

Hi, after some searching about - I couldn't find any info on good fingerless gloves for programming.

Living in a cold area, at night my hands tend to get cold.

I did get some gloves but they are some kind of winter gloves for keeping hands warm and they suck because....
    1) Im not in snow and my hands overheat.
    2) the material is (slightly) too thick and my fingers dont sit quite the same on the keyboard.
    3) they are not great quality, seams itch - Im not a delicate flower or anything, but I have to ware all day it gets annoying.

So - I looked online and one of the main problems is I cant tell how thick the gloves are in between the fingers from a photo alone, I think Id probably need to try them on.

However shooting gloves look like they might be what Im after (thin, fingerless, some high quality gloves available)..

I was wondering if others ran into this and knew a source for gloves that are good mix for typing for extended periods.

Cheers
  3. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    I prefer to use a small space heater in the room. My house is a large one, but my wife and I just turn on the space heaters in the rooms we happen to be in (and only if we can't use a blanket in that room) and we keep the door to the room mostly closed to prevent the warm air from going to the other rooms. Problem solved and we don't need to use our central heater at all.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  5. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

Welcome to DevShed Forums, ideasman42.

Good question. Several years ago I looked for an answer to this myself. The solution I found was Wristies. (I have 3 pairs in different colors/patterns.) They're made of "fleece" which is not very thick. However, since you mentioned that some gloves are too warm, these might be too warm for you as well. One helpful thing is that, assuming you're male and don't have unusually small hands for someone not of Asian-descent, the size you'll want is "Adult Large".
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Lay your laptop on your blanket I bet it will overheat and your keyboard will heat your fingers.
  9. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

Originally Posted by ReMiXeDg
    Lay your laptop on your blanket I bet it will overheat and your keyboard will heat your fingers.
    Why do you assume that he's using a laptop? With a desktop, you can have a significantly larger screen.

Besides, is shortening the lifespan of a laptop in an attempt to warm yourself a good tradeoff?

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  11. No Profile Picture

Thanks guys,

@Scorpions4ever, I used a heater for a while, but it got really expensive, so Ill rug up for now.

@ReMiXeDg, I don't use a laptop (have desktop setup Im very happy with)

@Kravvitz, thanks for the link. I'll grab a pair of these,
    I also looked again and found these (*) - having 2-3 sets of gloves is fine, these look warmer (and no I don't have arthritis).

* I cant link in a URL, but search for "transcriptiongear.com, Arthritis Gloves"
  13. No Profile Picture

I think the answer is obvious... Someone needs to invent a heated keyboard / mouse.
  15. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

Originally Posted by paysonwelch
    I think the answer is obvious... Someone needs to invent a heated keyboard / mouse.
    Welcome to DevShed Forums, paysonwelch.

Heh. I think a heated wrist-rest would be more effective. And if you want one of those, you could just fill a sock with uncooked rice and then microwave it for a little while, though of course, after a while you'd have to microwave it again.

17. No Profile Picture

A problem with heating anything in the immediate vicinity (ie - heated keyboard), I can think of are...

- It wont warm your wrists
    - If its really hot enough to warm the air around it, this may also dry the air (a problem with some heaters that gave be cracked lips and saw eyes).

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo