1. A Change of Season
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

No pay rise, quit!

My cousin has been working for a private company in NewZealad for past 4 years. Asp and Vb coder.

Started with 62 k, got a pay rise on second year and has been on 81 for past 2 years.

They refuse to give him a pay rise. The company is doing pretty good.
    He wants advise. Quit? Go look for work elsewhere?
    He lives in Aukland and job situation is not good now.
  3. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Guess the salary you posted is in AUD currency?

Have he looked at the "standard"/average salary for that kind of work/experience.

But if there are no other companies requesting his kind of skills/experience, it doesn't sound he has that many choice currently.

That said, it has never been forbidden to search for other jobs and see what is available.
    Have been in same place, but was not sure if the "grass will be greener on the other side" at this moment.
  5. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If the company has no fixed path for raises, then there's nothing they can do aside from make a logical argument that they need more money.

My company has given me one paltry raise in the last 2 years. I found another job and quit, and then they suddenly had much deeper pockets. Too little too late, but it's a valid tactic.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  7. A Change of Season

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    If the company has no fixed path for raises, then there's nothing they can do aside from make a logical argument that they need more money.

My company has given me one paltry raise in the last 2 years. I found another job and quit, and then they suddenly had much deeper pockets. Too little too late, but it's a valid tactic.
    So you left?
  9. Sarcky

My last day is Thursday, yes. I quit a week and a half ago and my boss attempted to match their offer but that was nothing compared to (a) the added responsibility/status the new job was giving me and (b) never having to deal with my idiot boss again.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  11. A Change of Season

My last day is Thursday, yes. I quit a week and a half ago and my boss attempted to match their offer but that was nothing compared to (a) the added responsibility/status the new job was giving me and (b) never having to deal with my idiot boss again.
    What do you work as? Are you a LAMP guy?
  13. Sarcky

I was a PHP programmer (using all kinds of databases and web servers) but then moved up to product architecture. I was my company's senior product architect for the last year and now I'm moving to a new company where I'll be running the Product Development department, hiring my own group of PHP gurus and designing/producing their flagship product from the ground up.

15. Lounge Troll
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

If they went from 62k to 81k that's a heck of a jump! I didn't get a pay raise this year either. I'm thinking of quitting but it's more because the stress of being on the operations side of IT and having incompetence blow up in my face and I'm stuck fixing it. There's the project side and the operations side where I work and the project side is so disconnected from the operations side. Basically their poor project planning and implementation blows up in my face.
    Codeinated
  17. A Change of Season

I was a PHP programmer (using all kinds of databases and web servers) but then moved up to product architecture. I was my company's senior product architect for the last year and now I'm moving to a new company where I'll be running the Product Development department, hiring my own group of PHP gurus and designing/producing their flagship product from the ground up.
    So how does the food chain work?

1 - programmer
    2 - product architecture
    3 - product development

???
  19. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Not sure how much that even hold.

Looking at a page from CNN about Best Job in America from 2012, it looks like Software Architect is the title with the best salary.
  21. Sarcky

The "food chain" depends on the company. The company I'm leaving has a "dev track":
    Junior Dev
    Senior Dev
    Software Architect
    Dev Manager
    Director of Development

And a "product track":
    Project Manager
    Product Manager
    Product Architect
    Director of Product

Both directors report to the VP of engineering. I jumped from one "ladder" to another when I went from Senior Dev to Product Architect.

The other poster is right, a pay increase of 30% is nothing to sneeze at. I've only gotten 5% in the last 2 years, and the new job only bumped me up 10%. I was hoping for 50%.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo