Thread: Excel Question

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Excel Question

I think I asked this a LONG time ago, but I'm not sure that it was ever answered... Let's give it another go...

Using VBA or C#, is it possible to have an Excel sheet OPEN that updates certain things based on current time?

For example, if I want a specific row to change background color when the sheet is open and a specific time is reached?

This would of course involve the script *running* in the background while the sheet was open...

Possible?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Brony & F/OSS Advocate
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Just taking a stab in the dark here; but I'm thinking you could perhaps do something with conditional formatting based on the TODAY and NOW functions..?
    ~~ Peter ~~ :: ( Who am I? ) :: ( Peter's Musings: Uploading myself, bit by bit... ) :: ( Electronic Frontier Foundation ) :: ( I'm a GNU/Linux addict and Free Software Advocate. ) :: ( How to Ask Questions the Smart Way ) :: ( The Fedora Project, sponsored by Red Hat ) :: ( GNOME: The Free Software Desktop Project ) :: ( GnuPG Public Key ) :: ( About me on the WIki )
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Here's what I would like to do:

I prepare a daily schedule of events that happen at particular times.

This data is in a spreadsheet that is displayed on a 40 inch TV.

What I would like is that as the TIME contained in a particular cell approaches, I would like the row background color to turn yellow, than red. At a certain point after the TIME, the row would turn green.

The colors alert people to the fact that an event is approaching...

----

If I could run a web server on the box that drive this TV, I would write a PHP script to deal with this - it's a "trivial" project - but unfortunately, this is not possible. Our contracted IT folks get VERY nervous when non-IT staff want to do things like run a web server and write their own apps... Even though this machine is *not* connected to the network...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo