1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I need some advice, about languages, hardware and suggestions for project

Alright so I am currently starting a company, and i have a mountain that I have to climb to be able to start it.
    There are a few components to this thing.
    First component is the hardware, which I have half figured out. I know about the sensors as well as the pricing for them. But what I don't know is how to take all these sensor signals and then turn them into something I can use. I want to have about 30 different boards that collect data from these things and them put them maybe to an online data base or send them through Bluetooth connection or through wireless connection to one central chip.
    I am not sure what the best method would be, if I should have them sent to an online website in real time or if I should just use chips that keep the data that is constantly changing.
    I have little computer science experience but from what i have done i am quite good at(got a 100% in high school AP courses, as well as went to MIT summer camp for computer programming)
    I can figure things out, but I don't know what hardware(the chips or processors or whatever) or what programming language I should use. I need some help and suggestions if anyone is able to suggest anything. Whatever it is I have to learn I will, so its not a big deal of how much work it is, i just need to figure out what I do need to learn.
    If anyone can suggest anything. or if you need more information I am happy to give what I can
  3. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    The most recent issue of Make Magazine covered a bunch of boards and the different features that each have (along with sensors that interface with the boards and such). Most of these are programmed in C, but at least one could be programmed in javascript as well. Some of these boards come with built in networking support as well.

You can get a subscription here and check out the backissues as well. Lots of fun reading.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Scorpions4ever
    The most recent issue of Make Magazine covered a bunch of boards and the different features that each have (along with sensors that interface with the boards and such). Most of these are programmed in C, but at least one could be programmed in javascript as well. Some of these boards come with built in networking support as well.

You can get a subscription here and check out the backissues as well. Lots of fun reading.
    is there any suggestion on what one I should go with or if there are a few I should look at specifically that sound viable for my project? any that you would suggest?
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by xdestinix
    is there any suggestion on what one I should go with or if there are a few I should look at specifically that sound viable for my project? any that you would suggest?
    for one of the boards i need it to be able to keep track of 30 sensors at the same time and be able to shut them off or keep them running
    and then the other board needs to be able to keep track of 10 boards and display there data in real time (a few seconds of lag is fine, but yea....)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo