1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Proxies & redirects..

Q. If I go to a website, they can see my IP Address? is this correct. If so how do I hide this so that they do not see my IP address?

Scenario is that I am going to be using a company that will manually go to my client's page and fill in the user data. Doing this will mean that their IP address might be recorded and if too many leads come from one IP address, the client may think they are fake or whatever..

Any solutions will be appreciated
  3. Did you steal it?
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If you're concerned that they will look at their access logs (as if they don't have better things to do) and see many visits from one location then just tell them ahead of time that you're having someone do all this work for you. Because it's not like you need to hide the fact that you're doing this, right?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

cheers, but they could also record the ip address from within the webpage, and store it in the database, using one of the functions..

And ideally, we wouldt want them to know this but its not illegal or anything.
  7. Did you steal it?

See, when I hear "it's not illegal or anything but I don't want them to know what I'm doing"... you see what I'm getting at? It doesn't sound good.

Unless you're putting some sort of strain on their system, or if they're some very tiny site and like to see how their baby is doing, I can pretty much guarantee you that they won't care how many IP addresses you come from as long as you don't try to do anything bad.

But I've said my piece. Proxies are indeed what you're looking for.

Comments on this post

• codergeek42 agrees
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

ok cheers. no we are not stealing their bandwidth, we are sending them data we collected through our partners and if we manually put this then they will see lots of data coming from ONE IP address. it will be coming from one IP address.
  11. Banned ;)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    If they are your client, why can't you just bypass the web front end and directly insert the data into their DB? Or send the data to them in a text file format and they can insert it themselves. Something doesn't sound right...

Comments on this post

• codergeek42 agrees
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo