1. A Change of Season
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

I got business proposal I don't know what to do with it

Not sure which forum to put it in. Please move to the right one.

Ok this is strange as! An old frined of mine who is a business investor just transfered 27k to my bank account (yes 27 thousand dollars!!!!!) and made a proposal to me.

He wants to own half of one of my local real estate websites in return. He said I always wanted to invest in this website of yours.

The website has made me 2k in 2 years. Yes 2 thousand dollars in 2 years! Yes he knows this.

There is zero risk in it for me.

He says use 27 k is for 3 months advertising and advertise on TV, Radio, Letter box drop, Cienma, bus stop etc and get exposure. He also dropped a 12 pages proposal with advertising cost details.

What am I supposed to do? What would you do?

Thanks
  3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Depending on your local law, an unsolicited gift like this can simply be kept, but I'd talk to a lawyer before you do that.

I wouldn't trust anyone who hands me a large sum of cash PRIOR TO negotiations. He's trying to force your hand at something, especially if he's trying to buy something worth 10% of what he gave you. Nobody walks up to someone, hands them a huge chunk of money, and asks for something small in return. This is a scam of some sort. You may be involved in money laundering.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  5. A Change of Season

The guy is in his 80s. He's got cancer and his wife passed 6 months ago.

He is a millionare. I think he just wants something to keep his mind occupied, you know?
    Last edited by English Breakfast Tea; February 27th, 2014 at 03:20 PM.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I guess my question would be what happens when he passes on?
  9. A Change of Season

Originally Posted by tanger32au
    I guess my question would be what happens when he passes on?
    See, that really doesn't matter. I need to focus on the marketing and business side of it. Not him.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by English Breakfast Tea
    See, that really doesn't matter. I need to focus on the marketing and business side of it. Not him.
    I think it does if his next of kin have expectations on how the money was / will be used. To me it sounds like you might be opening yourself up to problems in the future if this is not agreed to (in writing) before hand.
  13. Did you steal it?

Whatever it is, get it in writing and have a lawyer look at it. Anything less than that is just begging for problems.
  15. A Change of Season

Originally Posted by requinix
    Whatever it is, get it in writing and have a lawyer look at it. Anything less than that is just begging for problems.
    Hi requinix;
    What should I get in writting? When I go to lawer, what do I ask for?
  17. Did you steal it?

You said he made a proposal? Something about how to use the money he gave you? That. The "deal" or "agreement" or whatever you two are negotiating.
  19. A Change of Season

Originally Posted by requinix
    You said he made a proposal? Something about how to use the money he gave you? That. The "deal" or "agreement" or whatever you two are negotiating.
    Oh yeh. What he gave me looks like this:

TV : $11,000
    Google:$ 5000
    Bus stops: $4000
    Wages: $3000
  21. Sarcky

I assume these are advertising budgets, and not "go buy TVs."

Ask him why. Ask for a believable business plan. Sure, a well-made site, heavily advertised, could bring in enough money for this to be a profitable venture. But it could also simply be a waste of his money. Ask him why he believes he's not wasting his money.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  23. Lounge Troll
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

This sounds really fishy. Why isn't this written in a contract or some other more concrete (legally binding) form?
    Codeinated
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

old friend of yours? are you in your 70s or 80s too

This sounds fishy either you are not telling us the full story or either there is something cooking in his mind..

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo