1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I got hacked

Hello there,

My web hosting account was hacked, so he stole my whole website and files, and he said that he has a shell/backdoor at my files, and he can control everything.

How can i check if he actually has a shell or a virus which he can control my files.
  3. No Profile Picture

Something wrong with my website

Hello there,

Am currently running a gaming community, website,forum and market.

But everyday, when i check my Disk Space Usage, am going crazy, the size it's just increasing with noreason, am not even uploading anything, for example, it's 40MB, after a few hours, it's 42MB.

Is it normal or it's a virus?
  5. Backwards Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I combined your threads because they're both kinda about the same thing. And moved it to the Lounge because... I don't know. I'm hungry?

If he has a shell or a backdoor to your account then you need to contact your hosting provider because they were compromised.
    More likely is he found an exploit in your website and is using that to upload files, delete stuff, look at your database, or whatever. You need to find out how. Odds are there are some files that were uploaded that shouldn't be there - look through your files for any that don't belong. Then you'll look through your logs to see what happened when the file was uploaded, then continue looking for where the exploit is that was used to upload the file. (And then fix it.)

As for the disk space usage, only you can say whether it's normal because only you know your website. Since you're surprised, I'm going to say that no it is not normal.
    Find out where the disk space is going. Shell access would help, and if you need more then I suggest talking to your web host.

Comments on this post

• Will-O-The-Wisp agrees : Thank you!
  7. No Profile Picture

Alright, thanks for helping, will do that.
  9. Contributing User
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Download your entire website to your hard drive, your antivirus could pickup a bogey file - not a definitive panacea for all that ails ya

Create a directory listing of your entire file filesystem on the server, redirect to a text file, wait a period and repeat and then compare files, this should highlight where your diskspace is going

I'd be looking at moving the site to new hosting, changing DB password, sFTP, shell and control panel passwords, and look at your client machine(s) as well, eg the Gumblar virus steals FTP passwords as they're generally transmitted in clear text, which a primary vector for access, if you don't have secure FTP, find a host that does

If he's telling you he has files, and /or access, they're a N00B ... but they can be more malicious, if he had wisdom, you'd know nothing about it for as long as possible ...

What software are you running on your site, can you implement a backup component or plugin ... automated backups, and a comprehensive backup strategy always help you sleep at night

Best Regards

Comments on this post

• Will-O-The-Wisp agrees : Thank you!
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  11. No Profile Picture

i cant say anything about your hacked website but yes m giving you few suggestion. In your site if error has occured during loading the php files that time error files has been created which is called error log if your site have more traffic this files going increase his size with logs because he save error of your code error.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo