Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Flaws you find in people.

Want to see a list of common pet peeves you see in people.

I'll start with a list, but my list is meant to help you brainstorm.

And my list of "you people" is not meant to the people of the forum, but society in general.

Flaws on peoples ends.

-Most of you are really bad when it comes to standing in narrow places, and completely unaware if/when a person behind you wants to pass through (like grocery store aisles, for example, especially with groups in a conversation).

-Most of you people who ride the escalators in groups of 2, stand to the left or the right of each other, rather than in front of or behind each other, and therefore block traffic.
    -Likewise, most of you when you ride the escalator alone and don’t lean to a side, you’re unaware if someone is right behind you.

-Most of you when you see you’re about to miss a bus, you run scream while waving your arm back and forth.
    -Most of you when you're about to get on the bus, are unaware if someone is about to get off the front of the bus, and some of you exiting through the front take your time exiting the bus.

-Most of you don’t put dividers when finishing putting on groceries on the conveyor belt. But a bigger issue is, when the person in front of you uses the conveyor belt, I find that does not make the next person reciprocate the same.

-Most of the time when people are in a short line and they finished ordering, they just step back a little, and so when new customers come in, the new customers assume they are in line and stand behind them. The ones who finished ordering do not automatically tell them they already ordered, and so when the cashiers calls out next, the ones who arrived asks the ones in front if they’re next, and they’ll respond “I already ordered.”

-Most of you (and this may be by gender) when person A is talking to you, and then your friend person B comes to you and interrupts person A, causing person A to leave, you don’t feel morally obligated to continue the conversation with person A when you see person A later.

-Every time someone makes some statistical causation about a group of people (does not have to be a racial or ethnic group), say, 80% to 90% of that population, there’s always going to be someone who says “I know of someone that is not the case” and list an example. So what if you do, it’s more relevant to disagree with the statistic itself, than agree on there being exceptions.

Customer service.

-Most of you who work in the fast food industry, always say “anything else / will that complete your order,” “any drinks?” and “for here or to go.”
    -Likewise, most of you do not say “For $X more dollars, would you like __” you instead say “would you like __?”

-There’s some ice cream dessert booths I go to every year. Each time, they don’t have any prices, and each time, I don’t ask “what’s the price of __” I instead ask “How come you don’t have any prices” and every time, except once, they instead treat the question as “what are all the prices.”

Quote: If someone asks question A but meant B, while most people will answer question A only or B only, few people answers both.

-When restaurant staff serve water, in the winter time, they always put ice in it. So if I have a plate, I spoon out the ice asap.

-This happens quite often too in classes, the professor hands out documents at the beginning of class. Then students walk in late, but the professor does not automatically hand to the late.

The arrogant and the non-arrogant.

-When ordering fast food and getting on the bus, I already have my card/cash ready. Compared to others who wait for the cashier to tell them the price before getting out their wallets, or reaching for their cards in their wallet after they get on the bus.

-When crossing the street and I see a car slowing down, I speed up rather than take my time.
    -When crossing the street in a long, continued-group, if I see I am the last person, I speed up and pass the next person so I am not the last person holding up the waiting cars. But doing so does not make the next last-person speed up.

-Most of you don't run when you're late to class.

Other.

-Whenever there’s a large circle of people, say, 6 or more, I find it inevitable that someone out there, will side talk, putting multiple conversations in a group. What’s wrong with 1 conversations at a time?

-As I was walking on the public train 1 day, a homeless person asked me out loud “Scuse me, do you know what time it is?” I replied, “No, I have to look at my watch.” Then I looked at my watch, and said “hh:mm.”

Discipline.

-Too many of you people lack discipline. For example, most of you who ordered some ice cream scoop, and after receiving it, later dropped some of it on the floor, you’ll try to get another 1 for free.

-Too many times a good situation to discipline kids, parents do not. For example, on the train when the train beeps and the train operator speaks on the microphone, and kids continue talking, the parents just give them a quick “shhhh.” And that’s it. But for me, this is a good opportunity to teach them something, so even though some 99% of the time what the operator said is not important or predictable, I would tell them “When you hear the train operator talk on the speakers, to shut up or quiet down, for the *possibility* that they will say something important, even if they did not.”

Avoid giving out worldview opinions especially based on backgrounds.

-For example, some 70% of Latino men are into the @$$, even higher among Blacks. White men more likely into the boobs. Therefore some people grew up thinking "all men are into the @$$" or "all men are into the boobs" and I have a hard time finding men that are into both equally. Therefore, a lot of times White guys talking to Latinos will talk "as if Latino men are into the boobs" or Latino/Black men will talk to White guys "as if White guys are into the @$$."
    Last edited by LostShadow; October 13th, 2017 at 09:08 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

People who make lists ....
    The moon on the one hand, the dawn on the other:
    The moon is my sister, the dawn is my brother.
    The moon on my left and the dawn on my right.
    My brother, good morning: my sister, good night.
    -- Hilaire Belloc
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by SimonJM
    People who make lists ....
    I think this is true for people that stop at too proper of a number, for example "10 Principles of __" or "25 Rules of __." I mean, does it look bad if it stopped at a number like 11 or 9?

So it's like almost too coincidental.

And it's especially a flaw if certain points are actually 2 points in 1, or, 2 points overlap.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

There are things I find annoying (with people, without people), but I feel no need to enumerate them. If something IS annoying me, I might say, "that is annoying, stop it, please", but I would not say, "that is number 937 on my list of annoying things, preceded by such goodies as ..."
    The moon on the one hand, the dawn on the other:
    The moon is my sister, the dawn is my brother.
    The moon on my left and the dawn on my right.
    My brother, good morning: my sister, good night.
    -- Hilaire Belloc
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by SimonJM
    There are things I find annoying (with people, without people), but I feel no need to enumerate them. If something IS annoying me, I might say, "that is annoying, stop it, please", but I would not say, "that is number 937 on my list of annoying things, preceded by such goodies as ..."
    As far as a list of things that I find annoying - absent what I find are flaws - I haven't even begun to make a list.

But I can think of 1 right now, and that's talking loudly in a foreign language on the phone, say, in a public bus.
  11. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by LostShadow
    I think this is true for people that stop at too proper of a number, for example "10 Principles of __" or "25 Rules of __." I mean, does it look bad if it stopped at a number like 11 or 9?
    You do know that 99.9999% of those sort of "Best X Widgets For You" articles are written purely for SEO. It's a very common marketing tactic (hope I didn't spark that "debate" again...) that's used by most SEO companies out there - because it works.
  13. Banned (not really)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You sound like you're a lot of fun at parties.

/s
    -- Cigars, whiskey and wild, wild women. --
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Sepodati
    I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs.

I don't watch or pay attention to sports.

I don't dance or have any musical abilities either.

I'm a cat lover and not a dog lover.
  17. Banned (not really)

Originally Posted by LostShadow
    I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs.
    You don't get sarcasm, either.
    -- Cigars, whiskey and wild, wild women. --
  19. Lounge Troll
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

This list could be summed up to literally, "People don't consider other people in most things they do and ultimately get in other people's way." To the OP, this is life.
    Codeinated
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Some more examples.

Trimming.

-Many of you simpletons with technology, when you have a camera, the default is set that really large, and you never change it. Therefore, when you e-mail someone photos as attachment, each photo is like 3 MB or more. When viewing the image, is actually 25% of the image that fits to the screen. But for me… I usually pick the 2nd smallest image available in the camera, and when I e-mail photos, I shrink the size of it. Once the image is shrunk, you can test to “Save As” the image just with Microsoft Paint to see if the file size shrinks. You can also copy/paste the image to Microsoft Word, which reduces the image’s disk space, and then paste it back to Paint. Or, if you’re going to send a bunch of photos, put them all in Microsoft Word and then e-mail the Word document as attachment.

-Many times when the public bus detours, the bus operator will say “We’re going left/right to detour-start street, then right/left to detour-end street, then left/right back to current street.” This can all be summarized by saying “We’re taking parallel street, from street1 to street2.”

Precision.

-Most of you people are never precise-enough. And therefore say ambiguous things. An example is the word “color-blind.” Because the largest form of color-blindness is red-green colorblind and affects about 8% of White men, some people equate color-blind to mean red-green colorblind. I once saw a discussion where someone interpreted color-blind as to only seeing black white and gray, until the debater attacked the person by arguing “color-blindness obviously means red-green colorblind.” Maybe this is obvious to upper-class White people. Does that mean this is obvious to everyone else?
    -This also means when you’re doing presentations, (like Powerpoint) you should never mix red and green colors as a reference to differentiate.

-Another example is the word Jewish. That has different meanings to Jews and gentiles. When Jewish people use the word Jewish, it's a mixed bag to include people that are of the religion, as well as to people that were born Jewish but did not lose their Jewishness. So to them, there is no word to describe a "gentile Jew." They say gentile Jews are still Jews. Since gentile means non-Jew, then gentile Jew means non-Jew Jew which they say is a contradiction. They don't have a separate word to someone who is not biologically Jewish, but converted into Judaism. They also do not want to acknowledge a word gentiles created, called Judaist. They'll say, "I'm sorry, what's a Judaist?"

Any other examples?
    Last edited by LostShadow; October 25th, 2017 at 10:41 AM.
  23. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

My pet peeve is people that are over-critical of others and think that everyone should think the same way as they do.

Comments on this post

• cody_e agrees
  25. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

Originally Posted by Sepodati

/s
    Seconded

Comments on this post

• cody_e agrees
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    I've never been able to appreciate the sublime arrogance of folks who feel they were put on earth just to save other folks from themselves .." - Donald Hamilton
  27. No Profile Picture

Wow that is a long list to kick things off. My pet peeve is when everyone knows there is a problem or a job to be done but it doesn't fit directly into anyone's job description so no one fixes the problem even though everyone knows there is a problem and is perfectly capable of fixing it.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Wow, this guy created an account just to make the above post. I sometimes wonder about lurkers here.

Originally Posted by BenjaminDavis54
    but it doesn't fit directly into anyone's job description
    So this is basically a "Sorry, but I'm not paid to do that task."

Originally Posted by BenjaminDavis54
    so no one fixes the problem
    Usually there should be a supervisor that tells someone to do something.

Regarding the 1st point, I think a lot of government offices are like that.

For example, local police are not allowed to give out an arrested person's mugshot, but if they are in prison, you can look them up on the prison website.

Or, local police cannot give out an arrest person's date of birth, but you can look that up in a court's computer system, etc.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo