1. A Change of Season
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Will C panels redirect kill the traffic?

Hi;

SiteA.com is getting 100k visits per month.
    SiteA.com is slow, old and has no sales pages or opt-in forms.

SiteB.com has tons of good marketing material, sales pages, and the whole business is happening there. It is making money with PPC and YT traffic.

We want to redirect the traffic from SiteA.com to SiteB.com. We can do it via panel but some say if you do so, you will lose the traffic in SiteA.com since Google sees the redirect.

What do you recommend we do so we can redirect without losing the traffic?

I spoke to Cpanel server support, they said:

Well I can tell you that such redirect is possible but how this affects the rating it is unknown to me as we do not have any insight how the rating system works
  3. Impoverished Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You cannot do it without temporarily losing any traffic. It just doesn't work that way.

If you use the right type of redirect and do the other good SEO things, like I told you in the other thread, then you will minimize the temporary loss of traffic caused by a redirect.
  5. A Change of Season

Hi Requinix;

Look on the bright side... at least I didn't post in PHP forum

Yes totally duplicate sorry about that.

I don't mind about temporary traffic loss.

I just remember reading somewhere a while back that google will drop the site if there is redirected on the page.

Cpanel gives 2 options for the redirect: 1 - Temporary redirect 2 - Permanent redirect

Honestly not sure who to ask since their support don't know either.

Sorry for the duplicate post.

Good Sunday
  7. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 2nd Plane (6000 - 6499 posts)

If your goal is to essentially kill off Site A and send it's traffic to Site B then you want to do a 301 - Permanent redirect. Search engines should start replacing Site A results with Site B results, resulting in minimal losses.

Change page URLs with 301 redirects
    Recycle your old CD's

If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud
  9. A Change of Season

Originally Posted by kicken
    If your goal is to essentially kill off Site A and send it's traffic to Site B then you want to do a 301 - Permanent redirect.

Search engines should start replacing Site A results with Site B results, resulting in minimal losses.

Change page URLs with 301 redirects
    Thanks Kicken;

Let me see if I understood you correctly => Site A still attracts the traffic (bit less than before) even though we used the permanent redirect.
  11. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 2nd Plane (6000 - 6499 posts)

Not really sure what you mean by "still attracts the traffic". Site A will still appear in the search results until google updates to Site B. In theory, Site A's traffic will decrease while Site B increases as users are redirected and google updates. This is presuming the sites are basically the same and you're just changing the domain. If the content changes also then what happens is more or less unpredictable afaik.
    Recycle your old CD's

If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud
  13. A Change of Season

Yeh man contents are 100% different that's the reason we need to redirect the traffic.

Saying that I still think there is a control on these.

For example when I google "laravel controller" I get https://laravel.com/docs/5.6/controllers which is the latest version.

Definitely newer page than previous versions but google places it first.

Thanks
    Last edited by English Breakfast Tea; March 5th, 2018 at 08:58 AM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo