1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Question Questions on Running Your Own Public Vpn Server

Folks,

If I wish to run a public vpn service then should I hire a dedicated server or is a vps enough ?
    And which type of software you recommend ? What are the top 10 free ones ? Sames question goes for paid ones.
    Also, what are the risks associated with running a public vpn or even a private one ?
    Anything else I should know on this topic ?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Bump!
  5. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Havn't you asked this many (MANY...) times in the last year??? Why not just go with the same answers that you got then. It's not going to change now.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Catacaustic
    Havn't you asked this many (MANY...) times in the last year??? Why not just go with the same answers that you got then. It's not going to change now.
    Where did I ask these questions before ?
    Last time I asked about the resources needed to run a vps server. Asked for resource advice.
    Before that, I asked about web proxy php script recommendations.
    Now, I am asking about vpn. Vps & vpn are not the same, you know. Neither are web proxy and vpn the same.
    Ok, maybe with a web proxy you can run a vpn but I would not know as I reckon you run a vpn with the likes of socks proxy. Guessing. That is why asking about vpn software/webs script. So I no longer need to do guessing.
    Now, see if you can answer my original questions, or not.
    The web proxy I am using does not encrypt your connections. Vpn does. And so, common sense telling me vpn software/web script is different. Hence, asking about vpn software/web script.
    Got that ? Yes or no ?
  9. Code Monkey V. 0.9

The problem is, again, you don't actually know what you need. You know that it's "different" to something else, but tell me... what exact systems are you going ot use for this? How many users are you going to cater for? What safeguards and failovers are you planning on having in place?

All of these questions should be answered by a hosting or server company - not by random people on the internet.

Imagine... I'd say that you just need a really cheap VPS. go for anything less than $10 a month and you'll be fine for 1,000,00 users easy.

So, believe me?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The problem is, again, you don't actually know what you need. You know that it's "different" to something else, but tell me... what exact systems are you going ot use for this? How many users are you going to cater for? What safeguards and failovers are you planning on having in place?

All of these questions should be answered by a hosting or server company - not by random people on the internet.

Imagine... I'd say that you just need a really cheap VPS. go for anything less than $10 a month and you'll be fine for 1,000,00 users easy.

So, believe me?
    Most likely you programmers have used vpn and so I would have cross checked each of your replies and then decide what to believe and what not.
    Plus, you run a reseller webhost and so you are likely to know about VPNs.

I just found these recommended. Might aswell ask them which VPN softwares they use:
    https://windscribe.com/?affid=2zfmra51
    https://vpnarea.com/front/?a_aid=denharsh
    https://mullvad.net/en/
    https://airvpn.org/?referred_by=350717

Not my affiliate links but his:
    https://coinsutra.com/anonymous-bitcoin-transactions/

If you want to rent servers anonymously. Try this tactic:
    https://www.comparitech.com/blog/vpn...-mix-bitcoins/
    https://www.comparitech.com/blog/vpn...-mix-bitcoins/
    Last edited by UniqueIdeaMan; June 19th, 2018 at 05:56 AM.
  13. Code Monkey V. 0.9

Web hosting and VPS != VPN. They are 100% completely different services...

Are you getting VPS's and VPN's mixed up, or do you think that these are somehow related?

Please tell me why you want to run a VPN service? What would it achieve for you and why do you need it??
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Web hosting and VPS != VPN. They are 100% completely different services...

Are you getting VPS's and VPN's mixed up, or do you think that these are somehow related?

Please tell me why you want to run a VPN service? What would it achieve for you and why do you need it??
    I know VPN and VPS are different. I told you this on post 4 remember:
    Now, I am asking about vpn. Vps & vpn are not the same, you know. Neither are web proxy and vpn the same.

I asked about VPN here and you complained I have asked aboput VPN before and I replied that I have not as I had only asked about VPS in the past.
    I am just curious what a VPN resource looks like. What the software looks like. Want to have a look at it to see if I can come-up with another unique creative idea that will benefit the public in some way. Some monetary way so they earn money online and don't have to go to silly 9-5 jobs they don't want to.
    That is all.
    Last edited by UniqueIdeaMan; June 26th, 2018 at 08:38 AM.
  17. Code Monkey V. 0.9

Yeah, but your questions are always the same..

"Hey, how do I do X?"

X can be just about anything. I understand that you're trying to get ides, but you need to start doing things for yourself. We can offer suggestions and all, but (again) unless you have an understanding yourself, you'll jsut be installing things blindly having no idea of how they work or what they do, and that is a recipe for disaster. Every time we say "how about you try and learn yourself" you go away, cut-and-past some random script, and complain that it doesn't work. That doesn't give anyone any confidence that you'll understand what we say even if we do tell you.

So come on, what are you actually going to do? And not the same "trying to make money" line that you've used for the last year. What is the actual functionality that you need? What do you actually need it to do? How do you need it to work? Unless you can give real answers to those questions, no one will ever be able to help you because not even you know what you need.

Unless you haven't worked it out yet, we are trying to help you by telling you to learn yourself a bit. So far you're grat on the "big picture" ideas, but completely hopeless on the implementation. Unless you're going to have someone do the work for you, that won't cut it. You will have to actually get better, study properly, and learn how to really understand that you're doing. Unless you do that, none of your ideas will ever get off the ground.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo