Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Question The Public Domain

Hello Folks,

Do you know of any website that is considered the public domain ?
    This is where if you submit anything to the site then your submission becomes the property of no one but the public.
    Therefore, anybody is free to do with your submissions without any permission from you or any body.
    I am currently googling for such websites but if you know of some good ones then list them here.
    If such sites do not exist then how about we join forces and build one ?
    We need to be discussing work "publicizing features" so with one click the works are out there in the public in-front of eyes-balls of mass audience.
    A public domain spot online. "The Spot".
    Ok, the Gnu Organisation and the Creative Commons sites maybe considered public in a sense. But, apart from these do you know of any better sites ?

If for any reason this thread gets locked then PM me your replies.

I am also on the look-out for public domain legal templates. A terms & conditions, privacy policy, etc. that spell-out that all your website usage, work submissions, etc. will go in the public domain and anybody are free to do what they like with them.
    Something better than the Open Domain TOS.
    Terms of Use - Open Domain

Thank You!
    Last edited by UniqueIdeaMan; June 7th, 2018 at 01:47 PM.
  3. Backwards Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

There are plenty of sites out there where one can upload assorted types of content and allow it to be in the public domain, typically via a Creative Commons-style agreement, without you making another one.

By the way, I probably wouldn't have locked this.

Comments on this post

• UniqueIdeaMan agrees : Ok, 1 REP for the answer. ANother REP for not blockign this thread.
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Content of what sort? I visit a few sites where content is free for use under the terms mentioned by our esteemed requinix. I find that content because it is gathered with a lot of like content - hint, it's called ShareCG. I'd not be likely to find something I'd want by looking at, for example, php code content.
    Why re-invent the wheel? The 'usual suspects' of Creative Commons, etc., are generally good enough. I'd be leery of any ToS that was not a well-known one and suspect that a 'provide fist born' clause somewhere in invisible ink on the 4th paragraph of sub-clause 43a down on page 37 ...
    The moon on the one hand, the dawn on the other:
    The moon is my sister, the dawn is my brother.
    The moon on my left and the dawn on my right.
    My brother, good morning: my sister, good night.
    -- Hilaire Belloc
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by SimonJM
    Content of what sort? I visit a few sites where content is free for use under the terms mentioned by our esteemed requinix. I find that content because it is gathered with a lot of like content - hint, it's called ShareCG. I'd not be likely to find something I'd want by looking at, for example, php code content.
    Why re-invent the wheel? The 'usual suspects' of Creative Commons, etc., are generally good enough. I'd be leery of any ToS that was not a well-known one and suspect that a 'provide fist born' clause somewhere in invisible ink on the 4th paragraph of sub-clause 43a down on page 37 ...
    These so-called public licenses always come with some form of restrictions or some form of pursuasions. Thus forcing the user. I do not want that.
    For example, the gpl forces you to give back to the gpl community your update of any gpl work that you updated. That is not really making the user feel free is it if he has to give back to the community an update which he spent his money on getting it updated ? Compelling him to do something he does not want to. Squeezing the guts out of him and making him vomit-out what he ate.
    In short, I want to build a license which really makes the users feel free. They can update others' works. They can either give back the update to the community or not. Their choice.

As for what kind of work I am talking about that will be released in the public domain. Well, any kind of work that is not copyrighted. That can be literature such as articles, webpage content, ebook, img files, vid files, designs, ideas, concepts, etc.
    I am keeping my options open so that means my users can freely release and distribute any kind of work but NOT music or movies or tv shows.
    Want to build a public domain website so it is considered by internet users as "the spot" to release your work in the public domain. Other websites can come and collect the released data/content from my website. From the "public domain hot spot".
    Ok. I just explained to you how I want to build a "public domain hot spot" for anybody to publicly release their works in the public domain starting from my website.
    But what exactly do I have in mind to release myself ? Well, have not you people still guessed it yet ?
    Remember, I been mentioning that, I built a .exe web browser back in 2016 and now building a public web proxy ? Well, what exactly do they do, can you remember ? Reminder: They log what webpages you are browsing and publicizes them.
    The browser publicizes what you browsed on my website. (Or, it did back in 2016. Few days later I took it offline so any mobile app builder does not see it and get $$$ ideas to build a mobile version before me).
    Now, the web proxy or web app would too publicize what you are browsing. Publicize where ? On it's own website. But would the websites of both the .exe web browser and the web proxy get enough eye balls for your browsing history to be considered "it is in the public domain" ? I do not think so. Unless ofcourse, if the websites get a name for themselves as the "public domain hot spot".
    And so, trying to build a "public domain hotspot". Once I build it, I would need a terms & conditions and privacy policy built that spells out to the general public that whatever they release on my "public domain hotspot" is made public for life. And, I should not be responsible to get back what they released. Get it back to them from the hands of the public. And so on.
    That is why was on the look-out to see if any "public domain hot spots" exist or not. So, I can checkout their legal clauses to get an idea how I should draw my ones up. Since no real "public domain hot spots" exist then I guess my website will be something "unique" after-all. It might get 1bn (billion) users everyday. Who checkout what links get auto posted. (Which links are getting viewed the most by my .exe browser and web proxy users).
    Anyway, I have been checking terms & conditions template generators, privacy policy template generators. None of them have clauses which say that the users' works would be in the public domain. One generator or article referred the readers to Yahoo:
    https://policies.oath.com/in/en/oath/privacy/index.html
    For us to get an idea how Yahoo tracks it's users' actions on it's networks and to get an idea how they drew-up their clauses that relate to privacy.
    Yahoo's one is too long for me to draw-up one similar as their ones talk about their this service or this website feature or this web app of their's would track & monitor their users in so and so ways. Their TOS is too lengthy and the English literature is too hard for me.
    This one seems more shorter and simpler and a general one:
    Terms of Use - Open Domain
    Anyway, as of now, since I am in a rush, I'm just gonna add a 2-3 line privacy policy. Something like this ...

Privacy/Unprivacy Policy
    "Prvacy Policy ? What privacy ? There is no privacy at-all on this website.
    Everything you do on this website is auto and/or manually monitored, logged and all your internet activities (and that includes your internet surfing habits, internet shopping habits, chat sessions, any form of communications, etc.) get publicized in the public domain.
    Your browsing history are publicized to attract followers for you who trail you from website to website and webpage to webpage by clicking links that you have clicked. Publicized like this so the trailing clicks put you in a position to earn pay per click revenues wherever and whenever possible."
    If you don't like the sound of this then don't use this website.
    Else, be our guests."

Ok. The above was just a rough one made-up on the spot. Ofcourse, I would have to spend hrs upon hrs editng and changing here and there to make it look more legalish and correct the grammar here and there.
    You folks are welcome to show some examples how I should draw my privacy policy.
    The shorter and concise, the better. I'm not good at literature and so take ages to get to the point. Therefore, will have to spend hrs fixing it.
    And no. Not gonna hire a lawyer.

Oh btw, because my users' browsing histories would be identified by their personal details, legally I would have to build-up a privacy policy.
    Look what my website would look like:

Submission Id|Date & Time|User Id|Username|Country|City|Gender|Age-Range|Profession|Working Status|Keywords Searched|Browsed Page Url|Disliked Page Url|Liked Page Url|Shared/Recommended Page|Exited Page Clicking Browser BACK Button|Page Spent The Most Time On

Ok, I just gave you a rough idea of how my mysql tbl column looks like at the top of my head. The italic ones I still yet to add. Maybe in version 2.
    Ok, now get a good idea how I would publicize my users' internet activities on the "public domain hotspot" and now try to get an idea how I should write my privacy policy clauses so no user cries "violation of privacy".
    Let's see if we can build a very short policy that when read by any Tom, **** & Harry, they understand what exactly would be going on.
    I did my best to build one just right now but it became a bit lengthy. See, if you can built a short one which gets to the point like a finger snap! Afterall, I got to publicize your browsing history for you to earn ppc income when thousands+ people all over the globe start clicking the same links as you by trailing you and then in the trailing process earn you ppc income.

Look at it this way, folks. I don't think it would be hard for me to promote my "public domain hot spot" webpage. I mean, if I advertise like this ....
    "Come and checkout what Requinix is searching for and which website he is browsing right this instant! Click here ..."
    It won't be long and most members of this forum (was it 55k users I just saw listed a while ago ?) would be flooding the link just to see out of curiosity what Requinix is browsing.
    And ofcourse, Requinix would start earning ppc income if he/she is lucky.
    And likewise, everyone else would be eager to see what the other is browsing. And so, my webpage traffic would sour sky-high.
    Oh btw, don't say you won't allow my website to publicize what you are browsing. Because, you will. If you don't, then you won't see what the other members (like Requinix, Catacaustic, Sepodati, etc. are browsing. And so, each of you would have no choice but to publicize your browsing history just to be in a position to see other members' browsing histories. That is the "sticky idea" to get the public glued to me website. To my public service.
    But this public service is going no-where without a Privacy Policy. And so, I'll wait for Requinix and you guys to try to draw a small Privacy Policy as an example to show me how I should draw mine. After that, I can release my money machine and Requinix, Catacaustic, Simon JM & Sepodati can finally start seeing what all the fuss was about. Cato man been waiting nearly a yr now. I got to cool down his anxiety. Been a long wait.
    Catacautic, you want to show me an example ?
    Any suggestions from anyone welcome.
    Last edited by UniqueIdeaMan; June 7th, 2018 at 02:55 PM.
  9. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Unhappy

Originally Posted by UniqueIdeaMan
    I am keeping my options open so that means my users can freely release and distribute any kind of work but NOT music or movies or tv shows.
    Why not? What if it's the users own work, and they want to release it freely? Bands/artists do that all of the time to get exposure. The same would go for anyone making their own small indie films.

Catacautic, you want to show me an example ?
    An example of... what exactly?

You always ask for examples, but you never seem to use any of them.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Catacaustic
    Why not? What if it's the users own work, and they want to release it freely? Bands/artists do that all of the time to get exposure. The same would go for anyone making their own small indie films.

An example of... what exactly?

You always ask for examples, but you never seem to use any of them.
    I don't want hackers hacking and snatching movies & music and releasing them to the public via my site. That is why I said no music and movies releasing allowed.
    But, you have a point about the indie movies. Anyway, like I said. I will keep my options open.

What example ? An example of a privacy policy that states the users internet activities would be logged and made public.
    Look at the one in bold text I wrote on my last post. That was a rough privacy policy.
    And so, do you mind showing a privacy policy that you yourself would go for if you were running a public domain hotspot site ?
    You been hearing for 12+ mnths what kind of websites I am about to run that publicizes what the users are browsing and keywords searching. Now, if you were running such a site (searchengine, web proxy, social network) that publicizes what your users are keyword searching (on your searchengine) and what websites they are browsing (via your web proxy) then how would you write your privacy policy to a bare minimum so it does not bore the hell out of your users when they try reading it ?
    Within the last 7 days, I did find a few websites that showed free legal templates for privacy policy, cookies tracking, website tos, website disclaimer, linking disclaimer, etc. but whenever I add my own custom clauses the English grammar breaks and I just feel it at the end that I messed them up.
    Why do I need to add my own custom clauses ? Because, these templates mention your personal details will be protected while mine needs to say your personally identifying details (your name, username, etc.) will all be made public so the world can see who you are and what you are browsing online.
    I still use the skeletoons of these templates because they have legal clauses that spell out how the users' personally identifiable details will be collected (via cookies, sessions, etc.) and I need these clauses because my websites would be doing the same when it comes to user details collection. Only part where I will differ is that the websites in general will protect their users' personal details and user form submissions while mine will make them public.
    Anyway, as of now checking these out. Let me know which one's templates you reckon I should go for:

https://docular.net/documents/templa...privacy-policy
    Privacy Policy Online Privacy policy generator, TOS generator, privacy resources
    Privacy Policy Online Privacy policy generator, TOS generator, privacy resources
    https://termsfeed.com/wizard/privacy-policy
    https://getterms.io/g/?url=http%3A%2...%20June%202018

I actually like the way this one has been drafted. But, I can't copy them. When I try building a similar one, my English starts sucking:
    http://opendomain.com/en/legal.html
    Have a look at the way their clauses keep saying they will not be responsible for anything. Your personal data may get transfered to others and these others may reside in countries that do not protect privacy, etc. I like the way they brush their responsibilities under the carpet. I need to draw one just like that:

And so, if you wanna give a go at it to build a mini template then by all means be my guest. Cato.

Cheers!
    Last edited by UniqueIdeaMan; June 13th, 2018 at 06:38 PM.
  13. Code Monkey V. 0.9

I'm not one to draft things like that because I don't have legal training. To get it right you need someone that does (hint: that means paying proper lawyer or service to do it for you, not just getting "ideas" off the internet). That's a cost of doing business and we all have to do it.

Having said that, just have enough there to say that everything that you do on the site/service is 100% tracked and public and if they don't like that, then leave now.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm not one to draft things like that because I don't have legal training. To get it right you need someone that does (hint: that means paying proper lawyer or service to do it for you, not just getting "ideas" off the internet). That's a cost of doing business and we all have to do it.

Having said that, just have enough there to say that everything that you do on the site/service is 100% tracked and public and if they don't like that, then leave now.
    Might aswell keep it short. That way, no room for grammatical errors. Your own example can be a draft:
    "Everything that you do on this website is 100% tracked and publicized along with your personally identifiable details that get collected on this website. If you don't like that, then leave now!"
    Anyway, got hold of a few templates that spell out we will be using cookies (provacy policy) and hold of basic website disclaimer templates.

Cheers!
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

This Mailinator is starting to give me good ideas about starting some kind of a new publicizing in the public domain venture.
    See if you can derive any good ideas or not. I will then try monetizing your ideas and then let you all know how to earn from the new idea.
    https://www.mailinator.com/
    Read about Mailinator here:
    https://www.comparitech.com/blog/vpn...-mix-bitcoins/
    Last edited by UniqueIdeaMan; June 25th, 2018 at 05:05 AM.
  19. Code Monkey V. 0.9

Tjis Mailinator is starting to give me good ideas about starting some kind of a new publicizing in the public domain venture.

This probably sounds like a "crazy idea" to you, but...

Instead of starting new things, why not finish the ones that you are working on now? I see a pattern here, and it's not a good one for you.

You have said that you've done many different projects before, but so far it's all been talk and nothing that you've done seems to ahve gotten off the ground in any way, because you're no longer using any of them. Now you've spend how long... trying to work on various PHP projects. While you haven't even come close to finishing any of them (that you've told us about) you want to start more, and just leave the old projects in the dust? Why?
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Wink

This probably sounds like a "crazy idea" to you, but...

Instead of starting new things, why not finish the ones that you are working on now? I see a pattern here, and it's not a good one for you.

You have said that you've done many different projects before, but so far it's all been talk and nothing that you've done seems to ahve gotten off the ground in any way, because you're no longer using any of them. Now you've spend how long... trying to work on various PHP projects. While you haven't even come close to finishing any of them (that you've told us about) you want to start more, and just leave the old projects in the dust? Why?
    1. I procrastinate;
    2. I multi task on multi projects as I always get bored at the end of each project and so before I finish it I always take a break from it and start a new project;
    3. Been busy lately watching World Cup Soccer. That is why I have hardly been prowling here. 3 matches each day is lowering my spirit now. These last 2 nights only watched 2 matches;
    4. Been watching vids on how to setup apache and bind dns on centos vps. Tutorials I downloaded, most of them have no audio. Publishers just type on screen when they want to say something. I quit watching them after a min. The ones that do have audio were little helpful. Now got to rent a vps and then upload my projects (web proxy). Feeling a little nervous if I can't manage the vps. And so been procrastinating a little the last few days. Feeling twitchy. You know what I mean. No excuse now. Got nothing else to do right now but rent the vps and play with it. Let us see how I manage the unmanaged vps. If all else works then my primary project gets off the ground.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Folks,

Look at the img. I am trying to order a vps and I am given option which OS to install.
    I see CentOs and I see CentOs+lamp. Will lamp be installed on CentOs if I choose this option ?

I don't have experiences with Linux but downloaded and watched a few video tutorials on how to intall CentOs. On my home computer, I use Win10 and xamp.
    Do you think I should opt for the CentOs+lamp ? Want to run my own web proxy using php, phpmyadmin an mysql. I been practicing php and mysql on xamp.
    Which option is best for me do you think ?
    Linux_OSs.png
    Last edited by UniqueIdeaMan; June 26th, 2018 at 06:50 AM.
  25. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 2nd Plane (6000 - 6499 posts)

Because web hosting is a common scenario for VPS customers, many providers will have a way to pre-install the necessary software. It seems likely that is what the +lamp indicates. It probably just installs the same CentOS image as the plan CentOS option and after that installs whatever packages are needed to setup apache, mysql and PHP.

So there is likely no real difference between the options, other than the +lamp option may save you a few minutes of time having to install the extra software.
    Recycle your old CD's

If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by kicken
    Because web hosting is a common scenario for VPS customers, many providers will have a way to pre-install the necessary software. It seems likely that is what the +lamp indicates. It probably just installs the same CentOS image as the plan CentOS option and after that installs whatever packages are needed to setup apache, mysql and PHP.

So there is likely no real difference between the options, other than the +lamp option may save you a few minutes of time having to install the extra software.
    Ok. Thanks. Then, best I go for:
    CentOs+lamp.

I was told this by the host:
    "With 'CentOs 6 *86_64 + lamp' option you will get CentOS with preinstalled apache+mysql+php from CentOS repos. In this case for deploy your site you should create all configurations manually from shell."

I think they mean that, CentOs plus apache+mysql+php would be installed (lamp). And it would be a clean install.
    So, if I need to transfer my site over then this is not the way to do it.
    Anyway, I do not have any site at the moment. And so, the clean install or install from scratch should be fine. What do you say ?
    Last edited by UniqueIdeaMan; June 27th, 2018 at 06:54 AM.
  29. Code Monkey V. 0.9

Why would you choose CentOs 6 when you can choose CentOs 7?

And if you need to run a website, what makes you think that LAMP is not right? What do you think you need for this? You're doing everything in PHP, so a basic LAMP stack is what you'd need to run it. Do you not understand what you actually need, or do you think that there's something else that you need that's "not standard"???
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo